Proportional Representation

The party machine decides which candidate stands in each area, and in a safe area that candidate is always the winner. The Conservative candidate for my area didn't even have a South Yorkshire address, not that it would have mattered.

I accept that to some extent. Only under PR it is much more so.

A deeply unpopular politician cannot easily be removed from parliament if the party wants to keep her or him.

I accept that to some extent. Only under PR it is much more so.

A deeply unpopular politician cannot easily be removed from parliament if the party wants to keep her or him.

If a party had an unpopular candidate but wanted them to become an MP, they would just stick them in a safe seat.

Under PR

There would still be candidates standing in each area to fight the cause of their party, after the vote each party is allocated their proportion of seats, it could be put into law that they have to select the candidates that received the most votes from their given area.

If a party had an unpopular candidate but wanted them to become an MP, they would just stick them in a safe seat.

Under PR

There would still be candidates standing in each area to fight the cause of their party, after the vote each party is allocated their proportion of seats, it could be put into law that they have to select the candidates that received the most votes from their given area.

If that works then it may address some of my concerns.

Anyway. Can't see it happening any time soon

I would think that is how it would work. It would not be PR that covers the entire UK, but regions with PR. So Yorkshire would have its own candidate list, Scotland, Wales, and so on.

Is that correct?

Apparently under PR, UKIP would have 82 MPs after Thursdays election.

We would also have had a Conservative government in 2005 as well.

Things the left forget about when they go on riots like yesterday in London.

I would think that is how it would work. It would not be PR that covers the entire UK, but regions with PR. So Yorkshire would have its own candidate list, Scotland, Wales, and so on.

Is that correct?

That would be the ideal way to enforce appropriate devolution, go into a complete constitutional make-over and create a federal state (such as Germany) with roughly equivalent representation (number of inhabitants decides on how many MPs each state has in parliament).

England can be split in ten states, Scotland, Wales and NI can be their own states (as they are now).

Is that correct?

I think that's how it works based on the system we use to elect MEP's.

Apparently under PR, UKIP would have 82 MPs after Thursdays election.

PR was rejected by the people in a referendum that was put to them a few years ago.........UKIP are 'the peoples party'.........allegedly.

PR was rejected by the people in a referendum that was put to them a few years ago.........UKIP are 'the peoples party'.........allegedly.

No it wasn't, Proportional Representation hasn't been offered to the British people.

What was offered was AV Alternative Vote, a different and flawed system which allowed politicians to argue against it.

They would have had massive problems trying to argue against PR as it is without doubt the fairest system devised.

Politicians are not interested in fairness they are interested in getting elected and as they did so under FPTP they want to keep it.