When you had to use the phone box to call your girlfriend.

Back in the day before mobile phones and computers and not even a phone in the house you went to the local phone box armed with four pennies and probably waiting for the person in it to finish to talk to the girl in your life.No text or email from the comfort of the sofa,greater love hath no man.

In the mid 50's a mobile phone without a cable was beyond comprehension. The usual way to communicate was via letter post, and if urgent long distance you could use the Telegram service.

The nearest' us kids' had to mobile communication in the 1950's was 2 cans connected with a piece of string. !!!

I had to use a phonebox a few months ago as I left my phone at home, wow, it was a minimum of 60p to be put in, which had to be in no more than 3 coins, I had a 20p, and then all 10p coins, couldn't even use it in the end, so complicated!

I had to use a phonebox a few months ago as I left my phone at home, wow, it was a minimum of 60p to be put in, which had to be in no more than 3 coins, I had a 20p, and then all 10p coins, couldn't even use it in the end, so complicated!

Yeah back in the day a bloke at work asked me a naughty question i.e. he said, "Do you talk to your wife after you have just had sex'. I replied, "Only if there is a phone box nearby".

I used to recieve calls in the local phone box as long as you told your friend what time to ring as we didn't have a phone until 1975 and we were getting left behind.

The party line was great for listening into your neighbours conversation....Kids eh

In the 60's you could call free from a phonebox by tapping the receiver rest the same number of times as the number you wanted to dial ( 4 taps to dial 4 etc ) with a gap between each number.The old dials worked by interrupting the line a certain number of times according to the number you dialled, tapping did the same thing but you sometimes got an irate post office engineer who had heard the relays in the exchange ( didn't sound quite the same to the practiced ear )

In the 60's you could call free from a phonebox by tapping the receiver rest the same number of times as the number you wanted to dial ( 4 taps to dial 4 etc ) with a gap between each number.The old dials worked by interrupting the line a certain number of times according to the number you dialled, tapping did the same thing but you sometimes got an irate post office engineer who had heard the relays in the exchange ( didn't sound quite the same to the practiced ear )

You didn't tap fast enough..lol :hihi:

what on earth are you doing up at 1\30 thought all lights were sut at 9 in wales and never on a sunday lol:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Type that again in English.....don't understand?

If that fails I'll accept proper Yorkshire...or Welsh. :confused: