When you had to use the phone box to call your girlfriend.

Type that again in English.....don't understand?

If that fails I'll accept proper Yorkshire...or Welsh. :confused:

9% blind so i do mis spel the odd word saw your pszt was at om thirty am now the lasi time i was in wales 1949?? no beer on sunday and all the lights turned off at 6:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:;)

I used the phone box quite a lot in the 50's. Then I learned how to back dial. It was free and I used the phone even more. Then the GPO twigged it and put a stop to the freebies. Not long after i found another way because I knew a few GPO telephonists. "Happy days"

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

When You Had To Use The Phone Box To Call Your Girlfriend.

I see on this thread, posts about phone tapping and back dialing. I never did those things because I didn’t know how to. I had heard of them though.

When I wanted to phone a girlfriend or anybody else, I had a easier and more simple way to get in touch.

I’d have my number ready – written on a piece of paper or back of hand, or with the telephone directory open at the appropriate page, or I would breathe on the booth (kiosk) glass, then use my finger to write the number in (on) the condensation.

I would then phone the operator (usually a lady) and say I had phoned somebody, got a connection but the line then went dead after I’d put my money in. The operator then asked which number I had phoned (dialed), I told her, then she put me through. It worked every time, although I didn’t phone very much. I had pigeons. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember ringing girlfriends from the phone box at the bottom of the road in the 1970s; why no phone in the home in the 1970s I hear you ask, but this will make you smile.

My dad worked for the GPO as a telephone engineer and refused to have a phone as his boss once came round to our house for an emergency call out on CHRISTMAS DAY! Ever since then he vowed never to have a phone and those that did were contacted first!

When he died in 1981 the first thing my mum did, was install a phone, which she'd wanted for years. RIP both.

Used them all the time and they were all over the place. They still have a usefulness. When I come over to the UK from North America, I don't use my cell phone b/c of high roaming fees. So I look for a phone box. When I asked the tourist guy where the nearest one of those was he looked at me, stroked his chin, said "That's an interesting question," like I was from another planet.:hihi: