The Plough-sandygate

Guest makapaka
But it has to be a good pub BEFORE people will support it. People don't have money to waste in crap pubs, they go to the good ones instead. If it becomes flats or a supermarket (like the Star and Garter and many, many others around this city and the whole country) then it's gone forever. It's a nice old building and could be a really nice pub.

Pubs that are good now weren't always like that. The York in Broomhill for example was rubbish for years, now it's a quality place and often full. It wasn't the community supporting the rubbish pub that changed that it was vision and investment.

Chicken and egg though isn't it. No takings no money to try and improve it.

That said I don't agree anyway. There was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't "crap" because there was something wrong with the pub, it was poor cos it was quiet cos people didn't use it and when I went in it was always a bit depressing as a consequence.

The community assets thing makes me laugh. I bet sainsburys doesn't close down due to a lack of people realising that local asset.

As I said above - the campaign is flawed as it's run by the very same community that failed to support it in the first place. I'm saddened that it will close but the horse has bolted now.

People don't realise what they've got til it's gone unfortunately.

Could have been a good pub if supported and it's not like there's loads of pubs in the area.

Have to agree with t you there. I lived in the new apartments when they were built and Paul was the landlord. I would go in most nights, especially when the other half was on nights. It was always the same old faces. I remember Paul saying he thought the new apartments would bring in more business, but it didn't. There was nothing wrong with the pub, the beer was good, the food was good, especially the curry nights and Sunday roasts, people just didn't use it, they would go to the Sportsman or Broomhill.

I spent many a Christmas and New year in there and you would see faces you'd never seen before, and you would never see them again, unless Paul was putting some freebies on the bar.

Sorry, but the locals reap what they sow.

I would also like to add that I live in an area now with no local, I have to drive to have a pint, and a pint is all it is. I don't know anyone there because I don't go enough. I would give my right arm to have a pub like the Plough within walking distance.

Edited by verona
Adddition.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but the locals reap what they sow.

The locals would rather see the site was put to good use rather than kept as an unviable pub that is shut more than is open. You can't expect folks to sit in a pub downing £3.50 pints night after night just for the sake of it.

Guest makapaka
The locals would rather see the site was put to good use rather than kept as an unviable pub that is shut more than is open. You can't expect folks to sit in a pub downing £3.50 pints night after night just for the sake of it.

I think the point being made was to those disappointed it was no longer going to be a pub.

The point therefore that if you want it to stay open you have to go in. People don't have to go in every night if enough people go overall.

It's a shame about the plough but it applies to any number of local pubs. People haven't values them and as a consequence they're going - and once they're gone they're gone. It's unlikely anyone will build a new pub in your suburb.

Lots of pubs are allowed to become not very good over time, so that punters dwindle and eventually the pubco pulls the plug to reap the rewards of flogging the site to property developers. It's the pub that's to blame not the customers. If the product isn't what the market wants they won't buy it. But if you improve the pub to meet the demands of modern pub-goers you can transform a seemingly-doomed pub into a successful one. If I lived nearby I'd be keen that this option was retained and a pubco that is interested in providing this could take it on.

Allowing pubs to become not very good is a deliberate policy of the pub companies. It's like cutting back bus or train services so that less and less people use them so they can eventually be withdrawn altogether due to 'falling customers numbers'.

Guest makapaka
Lots of pubs are allowed to become not very good over time, so that punters dwindle and eventually the pubco pulls the plug to reap the rewards of flogging the site to property developers. It's the pub that's to blame not the customers. If the product isn't what the market wants they won't buy it. But if you improve the pub to meet the demands of modern pub-goers you can transform a seemingly-doomed pub into a successful one. If I lived nearby I'd be keen that this option was retained and a pubco that is interested in providing this could take it on.

Allowing pubs to become not very good is a deliberate policy of the pub companies. It's like cutting back bus or train services so that less and less people use them so they can eventually be withdrawn altogether due to 'falling customers numbers'.

But if the pub company wanted to sell to property developers why wouldn't they just do it? Regardless of the pubs performance?

• 2 months later...
Guest makapaka

So with the news that Sainsbury's application is going to rejected what are the next steps for the pub reopening?

Is it currently up for lease / sale or likely to be soon?