The Plough-sandygate

Guest makapaka

I agree - other than the rent etc I don’t think there’s any reason it can’t do as well as the othe pubs of similar size in and around the area. There’s nothing decent really in Crosspool pub wise at all.

If everyone who posted regarding its future actually spent money in there it wouldn't have shut down in the first place.

Simple facts.

Words and public action groups don't save a pub, spending a good deal of money on a weekly basis have a better effect.

The Plough will never be a viable proposition as a public house because the demographics of the area don't support the maths.

I would love to be proved wrong and watch with interest.

Sadly agree with this many have tried and failed over the years,even though a few do well like the rising sun most local pubs seem to struggle the Shiny Sheff just up the road has had a lot spent on it but is rarely busy when I go past.

Sadly agree with this many have tried and failed over the years,even though a few do well like the rising sun most local pubs seem to struggle the Shiny Sheff just up the road has had a lot spent on it but is rarely busy when I go past.

You should go in, rather than go past.

Take a friend too.

Pubcos generally ruining pubs all over the country doesn't help. If services/products decline in quality then less people use them, so you can say there is less demand for them - like the railways were run down many years ago.

For the average punter today, sadly the choice is often either (a) risk 4 quid on a pint in a pub which might not be that great, or (b) buy cans/bottles in a shop which you know you like and sit at home in front of the TV. The pub experience has got to be worth the effort and entrance fee (price of drinks/food). Often it isn't.

If the Plough reopens presumably it'll be independent and hence may have a better chance of being a decent pub which is worth repeated visits and makes money.

I had a quick look around the outside recently and I cant see any obvious signs of vandalism, unless someone has broken in and trashed the interior? Might be worth a look over though, but can't see it listed on Crosthwaite commercial site at present

The current owners ripped out the lovely old marble fireplaces, I assume because they thought that they were going to knock the building down.

Saying it is "vandalism" is correct, but in this case, self inflicted!:hihi:

---------- Post added 12-09-2018 at 17:29 ----------

Pubcos generally ruining pubs all over the country doesn't help. If services/products decline in quality then less people use them, so you can say there is less demand for them - like the railways were run down many years ago.

For the average punter today, sadly the choice is often either (a) risk 4 quid on a pint in a pub which might not be that great, or (b) buy cans/bottles in a shop which you know you like and sit at home in front of the TV. The pub experience has got to be worth the effort and entrance fee (price of drinks/food). Often it isn't.

If the Plough reopens presumably it'll be independent and hence may have a better chance of being a decent pub which is worth repeated visits and makes money.

It will be independent, a "free house" as we used to call them, if the deal on the table goes through.

• 8 months later...

The building is deteriorating. Rotten window frames and broken windows letting in the weather will help to speed up this process. I do hope the owner is not intentionally letting it fall into disrepair prior to demolition.

There has been no sign of any development at all. 

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:01, Bilge said:

The building is deteriorating. Rotten window frames and broken windows letting in the weather will help to speed up this process. I do hope the owner is not intentionally letting it fall into disrepair prior to demolition.

There has been no sign of any development at all. 

Wouldn't surprise me if it accidently caught fire ….. then no option but to knock it down …… 

Edited by SpiderPete