Where does Sheffield go now

It was Salou4 though who said

But planners don't get to tell commercial companies where to build. The process starts with companies making an application. That's the key thing. Planners can approve/deny applications (based on criteria, not just personal whim), but they can't force development of any kind to happen.

So planners can't 'focus' or not on students. All they can do is approve/deny the applications that get made. If the city centre somehow focusses on students (although I don't think it does) then that's because businesses think there is money to be made from targeting them.

No, planners don't tell companies where to build.

But what LAs do generally, and planners included, is create or not, the environment to attract business.

Such as good road / transport infrastructure. Parking included.

Rents and Rates where applicable.

City centre facilities, (public toilets)

Environmental issues such as street cleanliness.

Market the city through business development schemes.

And then they choose which plans to accept or reject.

I was almost offered a management job with IKEA when they opened their Sheffield Store. That was about 14 years ago. Has it opened yet?

Maybe you should ask IKEA why its took them so long to get into Sheffield when lots of other places have had one for years.

The local council has a massive role to play in affecting whether or not business comes to the area.

C'mon folks, it's not that bad. Someone who was here 20 years ago visited a few weeks back and commented how much more developed it was. Station forecourt, Millennium Galleries, Peace Gardens, Devvie Green.

Sheffield Station has the Tap; neither Lime St. nor Piccadilly can boast that. As to not getting hot food on a bank holiday; that's one venue. There are literally hundreds open on a Sunday across Sheffield city centre. Still it's probably the communists' fault anyway....

Sheffield definitely has fewer crazies wandering round shouting than Leeds.

Some interesting points made.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 18:02 ----------

My vision is of a Sheffield regenerated, partly by expansion and part politically. Both can be achieved with the will which I believe is there.

I've lived in many cities in the US and two in the UK, and Sheffield has the most detractors of any place I've ever known. It doesn't deserve such self-loathing.

Too many people see only faults in Sheffield and only the benefits of other cities.

I didn't move to Sheffield until my 30s, but I've been here for quite a few years, and I love this place. For me, it's the best of small town (affordable, walkable, kindly) and big city (world class theatre, exciting restaurant scene, big time sports, top universities). Weekend and weeknight parking is dead cheap and easy to find compared to any other city I've lived in. Traffic is horrible, but no worse than any place else.

I can see that our city centre shopping is a bit grubby, but I'm not keen on pleasure shopping anyway. But I am excited by the everyday shopping, new and old, that we have in our neighbourhood, places like Forge Bakehouse, Kempke's Butchers, Ozman's Groceries, Bragazzi's Coffees, Jameson's Tea Rooms, plus the small tailors and cook shops and DIYs and barbershops. Places that emphasize good service and serviceable goods. Some priced like small luxuries, and others that everyone can afford.

Good on those of you who want Sheffield to be better. But shame on you if you don't see the jewels we already have.

Some interesting points made.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 18:02 ----------

My vision is of a Sheffield regenerated, partly by expansion and part politically. Both can be achieved with the will which I believe is there.

Pity the money wont be.

The parking in Sheffield is expensive compared to Leeds,

Let's have a look at this claim in detail:

Council Parking Charges -

Central zone on-street

Leeds - £3/hour (short stay only)

Sheffield - £2/hour (no time limits)

Central Car Parks

Leeds - £2/hour (Sunday, £1 for 4 hours)

Sheffield - £1/hour (Sunday £1 for the full day)

Leeds also charge up to 10pm in the evening`

So how do you justify claiming Sheffield is more expensive than Leeds when in fact it is only half to two thirds the price and there are less retrictions!

We took European visitors into Sheffield during the bank holiday. We tried to get hot food in Millenium Galleries. "We don't do hot food because it is a bank holiday". It was quite astonishing how much of the city was closed.

Our visitors couldn't believe it. Sheffield needs to decide whether it wants to be a major european city or just a run down place where no one visits.

Who do you think makes a decision for a business not to serve food?

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 13:44 ----------

No, planners don't tell companies where to build.

But what LAs do generally, and planners included, is create or not, the environment to attract business.

Such as good road / transport infrastructure. Parking included.

Rents and Rates where applicable.

City centre facilities, (public toilets)

Environmental issues such as street cleanliness.

Market the city through business development schemes.

So what have they done specifically with regards to these issues that was focussed on student?

Ah this topic again, good job Nijinsky, only the persistent will survive this coming battle for South Yorkshire Supremacy. I suggest, as I did last time, that we utilise a two prong attack, one through the soft underbelly of Wickersley and that lot and one straight for the gong through the North. Us Hillsborians will lead the charge (tucked away behind the footmen of Shirecliffe of course).