Where does Sheffield go now

Mr M why else go into the city centre. During the day you either work there or shop there. At night people go into town to eat or drink, cinemas are dirty and unwelcoming, what else is there to go into town for. That is what governs what sort of people go into the city centre and hence what shops/companies invest there, so yes the sum of the city centre is the shops. Other areas of the city are residential or industrial and have different criteria for who/what goes there.

Well quite...I suppose I was thinking a bit wider than the city centre - like the beautiful Peak District, our civic culture. But whilst on the subject of the city centre, I've always felt safe in Sheffield. I didn't feel that when I lived in Leeds - I certainly don't feel that in Manchester.

I don't believe Sheffield is 'stuck in the seventies' as the above member puts it.

There's ben lots of re-generation all over Sheffield and it's become modernised.

Wish it was stuck in the seventies we had the Indus ,the Penthouse,the buccaneer, the fiesta plus cheap bus fares, beer at ten new pence a pint fags about the same for ten and some great summers,its a pity time travel will never be possible.

One of Sheffield's problems IMHO is that it, (city planners???) has focused on the student population. Not that I have anything against students but they are very transient, and have little money.

The city needs broader appeal, especially in the city centre, and has others have pointed out, that hasn't really happened in the sense of encouraging business growth.

Manchester has 2 big football teams, where are ours?

It hasn't happened overnight, I left Sheffield decades ago because its unfriendly towards business, (maybe that's where Ed gets it from), so changing the problems won't happen over night by ant stretch.

I have also spent a lot of time in Brum, another industrialised city, but like Manchester it has developed, shown flexibility, over the years, changing with the times.

seems to be a last ditch party political broadcast on behalf of the right wing before tommorow :P

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 20:50 ----------

Wish it was stuck in the seventies we had the Indus ,the Penthouse,the buccaneer, the fiesta plus cheap bus fares, beer at ten new pence a pint fags about the same for ten and some great summers,its a pity time travel will never be possible.

dont forget studio 5,6,7 :thumbsup: lol

Mr M cannot argue, great countryside but I think other areas can lay claim to it also. This thread was about a city left behind and I am afraid it has been. We have planners who cannot plan, example Derek Dooley way to ease city centre congestion, did not work. If you all put nostalgia to one side and walk round the city centre you will see it is a dirty smelly visually unattractive place ( certain areas such as Peace Gardens etc exempted ). I will grant that I feel fairly safe due to the cctv, but even muggers do not come into town as the class of victim is poor. After a Fri/Sat night there is litter everywhere, discarded food left to rot. When I worked nights I used to watch the rats running round on West Street and the Moor. I wish I could be prouder of my city, I am proud to be Yorkshireman because it is a great county but my city is not its jewel.

So, all the people moaning about they're perception of the lack of business in the city, what do you propose to do about it? Are you going to actually do something? Develop something? Build something? Invent something? Manufacture something? Sell something? Export something?

Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you, whilst you sit and moan about it?

Ricky there has been loads of regeneration, all of the wrong type. There are more one way streets, bus gates/lanes, no entry signs than you can shake a stick at. If you get into Sheffield the cost of parking is stupid, hence people go to MH. Leeds straight into the city centre then reasonable parking, clean pedestrian shopping areas with hardly a cheap tacky shop in sight. Even Barnsley rough and ready that it is still outweighs Sheffield.

I mean with new buildings in the City Centre. I know there's a long way to go but to say Sheffield is stuck in the seventies is taking it too far.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 21:49 ----------

I agree. Tudor Square, the Winter Gardens are good examples - but I guess it's a case of 'the grass is always greener'....

The Moor area is being updated further, Devonshire Green and the area around Sheffield Rail Station.

People love to moan!

I'm grateful I don't live in a place like Slough or Luton.

Belle wish I was bright enough or had enough money to do the things you suggest but I am not bright enough or rich enough. That's the point , investors do not come because the city centre is not attractive enough and that's the councils fault who have had/do have the money to change it.

So, all the people moaning about they're perception of the lack of business in the city, what do you propose to do about it? Are you going to actually do something? Develop something? Build something? Invent something? Manufacture something? Sell something? Export something?

Or are you waiting for someone else to do it for you, whilst you sit and moan about it?

I come across people that complain about there being 'no shops' to visit when there clearly are and they then admit they shop online. Then they moan about goods not being delivered on time or being the wrong size. It's quicker just to go to the shop.

It's a case of use them or lose them!