Where does Sheffield go now

My top of the head maths brings that down to 16k/annum for each student after fee's. They live well these foreign students. I survived on 4 or 5 k a year at uni, including paying my rent from that.

Have you taken into account that these were not British students?

I understand that the course fees were in excess of £13.5k p.a.. The subsistence allowance was £10k p.a. from which, yes, they have to pay the rent.

These were engineering students, of course the medics pay considerably more than that.

Cyclone my job was driving round the city centre all hours of the day and night dealing with the undesirables. I therefore knew what happened there 24/7 365 days a year.

I mentioned Harvey NIcs as an example,never been in and I want change from a 20 for a t shirt.but shops like these attract other shops and the process goes on.

The parking in Sheffield is expensive compared to Leeds, you mention the new building, some of these are great but the new market,really. Now ,that I have been in and it feels half empty. The diversity and quality did not follow from Castle market, two of the stall holders I now see regularly at Leeds market and purchase from them.

The current improvements have yet to be completed so may yet grind to a halt like seven stones.

Planning meetings probably are nothing like I imagine, I would expect common sense for a start but that would probably not be there. What would be there is vested interests and cutting corners together with back handlers. Do I think the council is corrupt, you bet when it comes to major projects.

Belle, I judge myself to be quite smart, I qualified as an electrical engineer and after 7 years left to fulfil a boyhood ambition. I am now retired but still go to the gym and throw heavy weights about so should you need a healthy fifty something in a part time role of your company then give me a shout. If Harvey Nic can do it then I am sure you can.

Have you taken into account that these were not British students?

I understand that the course fees were in excess of £13.5k p.a.. The subsistence allowance was £10k p.a. from which, yes, they have to pay the rent.

These were engineering students, of course the medics pay considerably more than that.

Good point, I was assuming course fees of 9k, so that brings it down closer to 10k/annum to live on, and I expect they pay more for accommodation (and have nicer accommodation) than I had. £30/week I paid, but it wasn't the most modern.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 10:02 ----------

I've worked in Leeds, the parking is more expensive than Sheffield.

It was Salou4 though who said

One of Sheffield's problems IMHO is that it, (city planners???) has focused on the student population.

But planners don't get to tell commercial companies where to build. The process starts with companies making an application. That's the key thing. Planners can approve/deny applications (based on criteria, not just personal whim), but they can't force development of any kind to happen.

So planners can't 'focus' or not on students. All they can do is approve/deny the applications that get made. If the city centre somehow focusses on students (although I don't think it does) then that's because businesses think there is money to be made from targeting them.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 10:03 ----------

Perhaps driving around dealing with undesirables gives you a rather biased view of the city centre though Panzer.

Your comments about people spitting (coupled with a comment about them speaking foreign languages) is not something I recognise.

I pass through the city centre fairly often, regularly on a Friday night, sometimes at lunch and occasionally on a Saturday for shopping, and I don't recognise your description at all.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 10:08 ----------

They usually walk along constantly spitting on the floor and speaking in a non English language. I, like many ordinary Sheffielders, go to Meadowhall and if I fancy a change I would go to Leeds, Barnsley, Doncaster in that order before Sheffield or Rotherham. I am sick to death of the ignorant people in the city centre spitting on the floor, dragging a gaggle of unruly kids which the tax payer is supporting and barge old people and other pedestrians out of the way. On top of this you have the street drinkers sleeping in doorways which stink of urine, aggressive beggers and don,t even get me started on the smack heads making their way to and from the clinics on Devonshire St, Rockingham, St and Fitzwilliam St.

This bit of your comment, the reference to spitting, to families who you can somehow tell are supported by the state, to foreign languages, to barging. None of that is an accurate description from what I've seen.

Not that people speaking a foreign language would bother me at all.

Edited by Cyclone

Cyclone we are formed by our environment and experiences so you may be right that my outlook is somewhat jaded. However you need to try walking round during the day when these groups are on the way to or from government buildings. I think spitting is disgusting from any person but appears to be a part of the culture that involves people who speak foreign languages, even the women spit. If we now accept this as the norm things can only get worse, I challenge the spitters and swearers on the street particularly when they use the c bomb but I would not think to challenge the people that do it if they are foreign. The reason being, as you have hinted at, that I would be labelled a racist. As an Englishman I can no longer voice my thoughts in my own country without some lefty screaming racist.

How does this great city move forward? Many complain we`ve been left behind by cities the same size. This is true to a certain extent.

Expansion is the answer, Rotherham is weak and lacks any direction at all.

Sheffield needs to get off its arris and move forward and conquer.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 18:13 ----------

Is there the will? I think so.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 18:16 ----------

My brother believes we have become a nation of sheep, scared to open our mouths, frightened of saying the wrong thing, even on these forums. he said people just sit back and accept everything.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 18:19 ----------

Rotherham is in a depressed state, they need us. The older ones won`t agree but they come from an era when Rotherham stood tall, it`s now on its knees.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 18:37 ----------

They will vote in Labour again while the whole country gasps in amazement.

We took European visitors into Sheffield during the bank holiday. We tried to get hot food in Millenium Galleries. "We don't do hot food because it is a bank holiday". It was quite astonishing how much of the city was closed.

Our visitors couldn't believe it. Sheffield needs to decide whether it wants to be a major european city or just a run down place where no one visits.

Sheffield city centre is depressed, little inward investment and has a small town feel. If it wasnt for student building and activity it would be even quieter.

I really try and avoid the centre, hardly ever go out in the centre. Certainly wouldnt pay a premium to live there.

Can anyone tell me whats happened and why has the centre not moved on in 20 years?

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 12:47 ----------

Cyclone we are formed by our environment and experiences so you may be right that my outlook is somewhat jaded. However you need to try walking round during the day when these groups are on the way to or from government buildings. I think spitting is disgusting from any person but appears to be a part of the culture that involves people who speak foreign languages, even the women spit. If we now accept this as the norm things can only get worse, I challenge the spitters and swearers on the street particularly when they use the c bomb but I would not think to challenge the people that do it if they are foreign. The reason being, as you have hinted at, that I would be labelled a racist. As an Englishman I can no longer voice my thoughts in my own country without some lefty screaming racist.

Im not racist but noticed this too. Spitting, rubbish being thrown. Its a side of multi cultarilism i dont like. You go to another country and respect it. Sheff is turning into a slum because of these louts.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 12:52 ----------

Cyclone my job was driving round the city centre all hours of the day and night dealing with the undesirables. I therefore knew what happened there 24/7 365 days a year.

I mentioned Harvey NIcs as an example,never been in and I want change from a 20 for a t shirt.but shops like these attract other shops and the process goes on.

The parking in Sheffield is expensive compared to Leeds, you mention the new building, some of these are great but the new market,really. Now ,that I have been in and it feels half empty. The diversity and quality did not follow from Castle market, two of the stall holders I now see regularly at Leeds market and purchase from them.

The current improvements have yet to be completed so may yet grind to a halt like seven stones.

Planning meetings probably are nothing like I imagine, I would expect common sense for a start but that would probably not be there. What would be there is vested interests and cutting corners together with back handlers. Do I think the council is corrupt, you bet when it comes to major projects.

Belle, I judge myself to be quite smart, I qualified as an electrical engineer and after 7 years left to fulfil a boyhood ambition. I am now retired but still go to the gym and throw heavy weights about so should you need a healthy fifty something in a part time role of your company then give me a shout. If Harvey Nic can do it then I am sure you can.

The new market is a disaster. I really wish the council would think things through properly. Tripling rents is nothing short of disgraceful.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 12:57 ----------

Sheffield people are great, the city has huge potential, what we need now is brilliant, dynamic leadership. I don't care which party they are as long as they have vision, a firm pair of hands, a knack for promotion and publicity, and the ability to build a strong team around them.

We need a Boris!

I say downsize the centre. Its beyond hope and waaay behind leeds and manchester.

The jewel in our crown is the burbs and gateway to derbyshire.

Concentrate on our excellent suburbs instead, which are prob better than Leeds. Thats the true sheff not some crumbling, post war concrete mess in the centre.

Edited by ubermaus

We took European visitors into Sheffield during the bank holiday. We tried to get hot food in Millenium Galleries. "We don't do hot food because it is a bank holiday". It was quite astonishing how much of the city was closed.

Our visitors couldn't believe it. Sheffield needs to decide whether it wants to be a major european city or just a run down place where no one visits.

That's been my experience too. Closes early weekdays, mixed opening on Sundays and bank holidays.

I am surprised by this, given that we were hosting a prestigious sporting event.

Whilst I generally support Sheffield, I do think we need to up our game more. It's a shame that Meadowhall takes so much footfall out of the city centre, however I do hope that the new development on the Moor helps to draw people back.

I also think that Sheffield City Centre isn't helped by the fact that it is so spread out - from Castle Market all the way down to the Moor, I think Leeds is far more compact. And Sheffield losing the Freebee bus hasn't helped.

One thing I have noticed is that Leeds does have a vibrant voluntary sector, whereas Sheffield's seems to be a little lacklustre. I'm not sure how this can be challenged to ensure that as many people as possible participate in wider civic life.