Where does Sheffield go now

Three day week, winter of discontent, black outs, country held to ransom by Unions.

Oh for those halcyon days again!

I daresay making such comments you must be of an age that actually had to work through the bad times?

Let's have a look at this claim in detail:

Council Parking Charges -

Central zone on-street

Leeds - £3/hour (short stay only)

Sheffield - £2/hour (no time limits)

Central Car Parks

Leeds - £2/hour (Sunday, £1 for 4 hours)

Sheffield - £1/hour (Sunday £1 for the full day)

Leeds also charge up to 10pm in the evening`

So how do you justify claiming Sheffield is more expensive than Leeds when in fact it is only half to two thirds the price and there are less retrictions!

There you go again, using facts again to support your point of view....:)

Luton and Slough are not one of the top 5-10 most populated cities. They are not competing with Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

These cities have lovely areas and cultural centres as you refer to but just as a quick example- compare Sheffield Train station to Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly

they have forward thinking planners, visionaries, businessmen who attract money, people to their cities.

Take Liverpool: they build Liverpool 1 smack bang in the middle of the city attracting people into the centre, spending money, using the hotels, bars, restaurants, food outlets - Sheffield allowed Meadowhall to do the exact opposite - sucked the life out of the centre and sent it into what I fear is terminal decline.

Sheffield is beginning to rapidly fall behind these cities and I cannot see any improvement.

I take, and agree with your point about Slough and Luton not competing with Sheffield.

Manchester has the Trafford Centre and their City Centre isn't having problems like ours is. I'm not saying Sheffield City Centre is perfect but it's not the worst either.

Manchester has the Trafford Centre and their City Centre isn't having problems like ours is. I'm not saying Sheffield City Centre is perfect but it's not the worst either.

Manchester was "lucky" to get rebuilt after the IRA bomb. Before then the city centre was really grotty.

The Trafford Centre pulls in a lot of tourists and blocks up the motorways every weekend and bank holiday, almost forcing people to use Manchester city centre instead.

When Sheffield gets IKEA you'll see what I mean and if you're a weekend Meadowhall shopper, you'll change your mind!

Manchester also seems to be proactive in pulling in big names and events. The city athletics and the 10k this past week have been amazing and really show off the city.

But this angers me as I thought Sheffield was supposed to be UK city of sport?

It shouldn't excuse any shortcomings with Sheffield Council when it comes to being pro-business or pro-events etc., but in all this talk of Manchester having so many shopping destinations and events on, please can we not forget that Manchester and Birmingham are working with vastly larger numbers of population than Sheffield/South Yorkshire.

In fact, most of the biggest conurbations in this country outstrip S. Yorkshire, which is a lot more disjointed than a lot of other areas (and remember that population density can be an important factor in how much retail business succeeds).

Manchester was "lucky" to get rebuilt after the IRA bomb. Before then the city centre was really grotty.

The Trafford Centre pulls in a lot of tourists and blocks up the motorways every weekend and bank holiday, almost forcing people to use Manchester city centre instead.

When Sheffield gets IKEA you'll see what I mean and if you're a weekend Meadowhall shopper, you'll change your mind!

Manchester also seems to be proactive in pulling in big names and events. The city athletics and the 10k this past week have been amazing and really show off the city.

But this angers me as I thought Sheffield was supposed to be UK city of sport?

Thanks for filling me in on the situation in Manchester.

I'm not a weekend Meadowhall shopper as it happens but if more people shop in the City Centre as a result if IKEA then that'll create an incentive for new investment and safeguard current businesses.