FA told Graham Taylor not to pick ‘too many’ black players for England

Though there's ample evidence Taylor ignored this instruction and is in no way a racist, it does raise the question of institutional racism within the FA during and possibly before Taylor's 90-93 tenure.

Those members of the FA at the time have all gone but the question remains: is the FA racist today?

This is total rubbish. Graham Taylor is no more a racist than i am., Well apart from his aversion to Orange.

Does he not like orange!

Though all of us at Hillsbrough rated Carlton no one else in the country did so if Taylor was racist he would not have picked him.

Carlton Palmer an inspiration to many, because he was the stellar example that even somebody who was just not very good at football could stil nevertheless not only play in the top tier but also manage a few international caps. I was not surprised the Hillsborough fans rated him. It gave them hope that even a total donkey could play for Wednesday and even England.

Nobody has claimed that Graham Taylor was racist.

No one would be daft enough given some of the players he chose to play for him whilst in management.

I remember going to watch an FA Cup game at Watford with the Blades in 1985.

They were a division above us and slaughtered us 5 nil.

Playing up front for them at the time were John Barnes, Luther Blisset and Worrell Sterling, and they had at least two or three other black players.

On the way back up the M1 we were listening to the radio when they interviewed our goalkeeper John Burridge.

Now we all liked 'Budgy' but I was never convinced that he was the 'full shilling'.

When asked what happened he said " It was like defending at Rourke's Drift " :o :o :hihi:

Am I the only person sick and tired of people using the word racist for sensational purposes ?

Isn't the use of the word racist not correct about the claim being made? How else would you describe the refusal to pick someone because of the colour of their skin?

I think that people are missing the point with the claim.

Nobody is claiming that Graham Taylor is racist, just that people within the FA told him not to pick too many black players. There is no evidence to say he was compliment with their wishes.

The headline is 'lifted' from the news item as it appeared on the internet.

The actual claim is that those in the FA were racist.

I thank those who commented and grasped that.

The questioned posed is; Do you think the FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION were racist during the early nineties and before?

Don't think Tinker or TAYLOR or Soldier or Sailor.

But do think sweet FA - surely you're capable of that?

That's it exactly.

I think the same thing took place and Taylor knows it is a career ending move to expose the establishment. He still works as a pundit and they'd drop him like a stone because another set of suits would say we don't want that airing.

That's the reality.

The FA strangled English football and delivered constant failure for 50 years as a result.