Am I obliged to pay

Been away for a few days and upon my return the council and another company did a repair on my house by mistake ( which I own ) instead of my neighbours which is a council property Am I obliged to pay for said repair as I'm been asked to contribute

Nope - it's optional... it was their mistake not yours..

Did the work actually NEED doing on your property also though?

if it did - it might be good to at least make a contribution of some sort..

Nope - it's optional... it was their mistake not yours..

Did the work actually NEED doing on your property also though?

if it did - it might be good to at least make a contribution of some sort..

It might have needed doing in the future but not just yet

Been away for a few days and upon my return the council and another company did a repair on my house by mistake ( which I own ) instead of my neighbours which is a council property Am I obliged to pay for said repair as I'm been asked to contribute

Unbelievable. Whos asking for money, the council or your neighbour?

At a guess, either the Council supplied the wrong address to the scaffold company (in which case it's the Council's liability) or the scaffold company got the right address but put up the scaffold at the wrong address (in which case it's the scaffold company's liability, and the Council should seek that contribution from the, notwithstanding that the KIER team should have spotted the issue when they turned up, instead of getting on with it).

In either case (and in any case, since you're not a party to the work contract), it's not your liability, so you don't have to contribute a penny. All the same, you may feel morally obliged to...but that's up to you and your conscience.

That said, you might want a word with them about trespass, unauthorised work/damage to your property, <etc.> as well while you're at it. And there might be a few local building contractors somewhat aggrieved at the Council setting up in competition with them. Plus a few Sheffield Council taxpayers somewhat aggrieved at the Council wasting its shrinking budget with such stupid mistakes.

Edited by L00b

The council as they had to use a scaffolding company to erect scallfolding and then kier have done this repair

So they fixed a non existent repair? Or did you have the same problem as neighbour?

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 14:09 ----------

At a guess, either the Council supplied the wrong address to the scaffold company (in which case it's the Council's liability) or the scaffold company got the right address but put up the scaffold at the wrong address (in which case it's the scaffold company's liability, and the Council should seek that contribution from them).

In either case, it's not your liability, so you don't have to contribute a penny. All the same, you may feel morally obliged to...but that's up to you and your conscience.

That said, you might want a word with them about trespass, unauthorised work/damage to your property, <etc.> as well while you're at it ;)

Yes, thats right. The op owns the property. It sounds like criminal damage / trespass.

First port of call is your mp. Its the council who authorised the work and ultimately there liability. I personally wouldnt even get involved with private companies, more hasdle than its worth.

At a guess, either the Council supplied the wrong address to the scaffold company (in which case it's the Council's liability) or the scaffold company got the right address but put up the scaffold at the wrong address (in which case it's the scaffold company's liability, and the Council should seek that contribution from the, notwithstanding that the KIER team should have spotted the issue when they turned up, instead of getting on with it).

In either case, it's not your liability,

so you don't have to contribute a penny. All the same, you may feel morally obliged to...but that's up to you and your conscience.

Give it no further thought or consideration for now. Put the letters away in case you need them in future. Do the dame with any others but otherwise ignore thm its their error and they have not got a leg to stand on as long as you have signed nothing.

That said, you might want a word with them about trespass, unauthorised work/damage to your property, <etc.> as well while you're at it. And there might be a few private contractors somewhat aggrieved at the Council setting up in competition with them. Plus a few Sheffield Council taxpayers somewhat aggrieved at the Council wasting its shrinking budget with such stupid mistakes.

Good point Loob and they might be interested to kear about you thinking of taking the story to the Star and local radio. Not to mention the TV has a number of programmes that are looking for stories.

Give it no further thought or consideration for now. Put the letters away in case you need them in future. Do the dame with any others but otherwise ignore thm its their error and they have not got a leg to stand on as long as you have signed nothing.

Good point Loob and they might be interested to kear about you thinking of taking the story to the Star and local radio. Not to mention the TV has a number of programmes that are looking for stories.

I've no intention of taking this any further other than I'm refusing to contribute anything at all .just thought it was very cheeky of them to ask me for money for something that is clearly both tries and scaffolding company's mistake .