Weedon street Attercliffe

Weedon Street starts in Brightside and runs towards Carbrook. It begins at the point on the A6109 where Brightside Lane becomes Meadowhall Road. It ends on the A6178 at the eastern end of Attercliffe Common, where this becomes Sheffield Road as nomoney wrote, but this is quite a long way from Attercliffe itself - here's a map dating from the period under discussion (1970s). :)

hillsbro Attercliffe common ends at weedon street and starts at kirkbridge road so how can it be a long way from Atterciffe,I was born in Carbrook street and brought up there till they knocked them down went to carbrook c off e school till that was closed which was at the bottom off carbrook street where it joined weedon street,also delivered the papers for E. Wagstaffs and the round covered Atterclffe common,weedon street Bright street and a lot more in that area.

Hi nomoney - of course Attercliffe Common ends at Weedon Street as indicated in my post. But Attercliffe itself is much nearer to the city centre as clearly shown on the map. My cousins lived on Bright Street and they always maintained - correctly - that they were born and raised in Carbrook, not Attercliffe. Yes - Attercliffe Common goes right through Carbrook as can be seen on the map, but the area is Carbrook and not Attercliffe. If this area were regarded as Attercliffe, then Carbrook wouldn't exist. It's true to say that the name "Attercliffe" is often loosely applied to the whole area but the map I posted shows the true facts which are there for all to see.

Edited by hillsbro

From 1997, Sheffield Attercliffe covered much of the east and south east of the city including the wards of Beighton, Birley, Darnall, Mosborough, Woodhouse, and parts of Richmond ward. It bordered the constituencies of North East Derbyshire, Rotherham, Rother Valley, Sheffield Brightside, Sheffield Central and Sheffield Heeley.

Oh, come off it nomoney! You're referring to the Attercliffe parlaientary constituency. Do people living in Beighton, Mosborough and Woodhouse think they are in Attercliffe? Of course not. I've never heard such a pathetic reason for maintaining an inaccurate point of view. Attercliffe as such is clearly marked on maps (here is a modern OS map with Attercliffe at its centre). End of story.

Edited by hillsbro

Don't waste your time, Hillsbro - "nomoney" clearly isn't going to admit to being wrong about the location of Attercliffe proper - even though you've made it perfecttly clear by posting maps.

But to return to topic - I remember visiting my brother's school friend Graham who lived on Weedon Street in the late 1950s; we used to get the tram. The "court" where Graham lived had some back-to-back houses but there were also some two-up-and-two-down houses. It's a pity that there isn't much in the way of photos on the picturesheffield.com site but I remember there were just plain yards with no gardens or "greenery" of any kind, and of course the houses had outside toilets. How times change!

Hi beechnut - yes, I remember houses with bare yards in Weedon Street, but I couldn't say whether or not they were of the back-to-back type. Here is a 1954 large-scale map showing properties on Weedon Street around the junctions with Vulcan Road, Short Street (lower right) and Carbrook Street (left of centre). "Court 1" is shown near the bottom and, to judge from their plan, some of these might have been back-to-back houses, but looking at Nos. 119 to 147, they may not have been. The only occupant of Nos. 119 to 147 that is shown in Kelly's directories is No 119 "Hill, A. shopkeeper" and this property does seem larger in plan. Perhaps the others in the row were back-to-back, or "2 up and 2 down" etc. houses that for some reason were regarded by Kelly's as "court" houses and so the occupants were not listed. This is one of many occasions when I'd like to talk to whoever compiled the Kelly's directories that I have on my shelves! :)

Edited by hillsbro

Hi beechnut - yes, I remember houses with bare yards in Weedon Street, but I couldn't say whether or not they were of the back-to-back type. Here is a 1954 large-scale map showing properties on Weedon Street around the junctions with Vulcan Road, Short Street (lower right) and Carbrook Street (left of centre). "Court 1" is shown near the bottom and, to was talkingow as youjudge from their plan, some of these might have been back-to-back houses, but looking at Nos. 119 to 147, they may not have been. The only occupant of Nos. 119 to 147 that is shown in Kelly's directories is No 119 "Hill, A. shopkeeper" and this property does seem larger in plan. Perhaps the others in the row were back-to-back, or "2 up and 2 down" etc. houses that for some reason were regarded by Kelly's as "court" houses and so the occupants were not listed. This is one of many occasions when I'd like to talk to whoever compiled the Kelly's directories that I have on my shelves! :)
hi hillborough i wondered if you would know as you was talking courts i was born bright street just below where the co op was on corner with carbrook street , afew years ago we did our family tree and my great grandparents address comes up as bright street court 21 we have tried to find out just where these houses were we think they were around where the cabrook hall stands but as i have looked back carbrook hall been there since 1700 i think just wondered if your maps would help many thanks j

It's fascinating to think of all these streets of housing that have disappeared, not just in this area, but all over Sheffield. Neepsend for example, Owlerton, even parts of the city centre. It's hard to believe that these were once bustling communities, full of housing.