Right To Buy HA legal challenge

Wouldn't the same apply if the government decided to allow all private tenants the right to purchase their landlord's property for a discount of up to 70%.

Yes, to an extent (the 'private property' point); but it leaves unanswered the 'charity donors/bequests' point.

Could you answer post #36 Jeffrey?

I'd asked

Especially: what if the landlord is a registered charity?

And post #36 stated

I think most if not all HA's are registered charities but cant see why that would matter.

Poppet2: are you asking:

a. whether or not most if not all HA's are registered charities; or

b. why that would matter, please?

I am asking, 'Why would it matter?' Reason being, is it not the case that those HA's that claim charitable status, receive SOME form of subsidy from the government, which allows them to build subsidised housing?

Therefore, the government believes that as a result of this commercial relationship and subsidy, it has the right to instruct HA's to:

a. sell to tenants

b. to do so at a discount

This appears similar to the Transport situation throughout the UK. Private companies bid for railway and bus franchises, BUT they still receive a subsidy from the government, despite making a profit! Isn't this why the government intervenes if they believe the annual fare increases are too high?

If the government are subsidising a company, and there is a commercial relationship, the government believes it has the right to intervene.

You ask:

is it not the case that those HA's that claim charitable status, receive SOME form of subsidy from the government, which allows them to build subsidised housing?

No. Let's consider, for example, a testator who bequeaths a property portfolio to a Housing Association, either existing or newly-created, for use in charitable activities. Yes, there are many such HAs. Why should HMG ransack the charity's assets?

You ask:

is it not the case that those HA's that claim charitable status, receive SOME form of subsidy from the government, which allows them to build subsidised housing?

No.

Are you sure about that? Are you saying that HAs receive no subsidy from the government whatsoever?

If that is the case, how can HAs afford to build subsidised housing?

How is it possible that HA's are able to offer tenants half the market price rent on a par with council tenants?

This is why I ask about the benefits of their charitable status, and whether there is some form of tax exemption that allows them to build and charge tenants subsidised housing.

I have been told that councils and housing associations get the land that they are to build on for free, if that land owned by the state.

Are you sure about that? Are you saying that HAs receive no subsidy from the government whatsoever?

How is it possible that HA's are able to offer tenants half the market price rent on a par with council tenants?

This is why I ask about the benefits of their charitable status, and whether there is some form of tax exemption that allows them to build and charge tenants subsidised housing.

Some HAs are funded by legacy, and some aren't.

In the former case, HA as donee of- often- a large amount is building not funded by HMG subsidy.

And it may be letting at a less-than-market rent, esp. if it was established to assist the more needy of tenants.

So why should such an HA be asset-stripped?

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw