How did the polls call the election so wrong?

There were clearly a lot of shy tories that fibbed to the pollsters on the phone and at their doors.

A labour party activist knocked on my door and asked if I was voting for Labour. She was a nice old lady and I didn't have the heart to tell her no I'm voting Libdem, so I said yes I'm voting Labour, lol.

So, it was you!!

From the financial times:

http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53d7b66-975d-11e4-be9d-00144feabdc0.html

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 10:53 ----------

http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/8d396f7a-22f6-11e4-8dae-00144feabdc0.html

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 10:56 ----------

And on tories 100k per month facebook billhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31141547

---------- Post added 09-05-2015 at 10:59 ----------

Million pound worth of advertising on facebook before they even started the campaign..

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with those meaningless links. The audited figures from the electoral commission show donations for the full year to Labour £26.38 million and Conservative £29.13 million. It seems the Conservatives obtained rather better value for money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11594760/The-Tories-won-the-general-election-my-faith-in-the-British-people-was-entirely-justified.html

The pollsters got the election result so wrong because the Left has browbeaten ordinary voters into being reluctant to share their real views ..........Janet Daley has told you............whoever she is.

It was the left..........they put a red under everybodies bed,whispering to us not to vote Tory...........The left are also responsible for bad weather,your biscuit that you dunked dissolving in your tea before you eat it,and finding out you've no hot water when you want a bath.

Edited by chalga

I was brought up and taught, that if you work hard you will reap your reward and this has often been the case.I believe that this will also be the case for many hard working people under the current Goverment.However if you want to get by in life and do sod all, then fear the worse because it's all going to end .Had Labour got in then it would once again be freeloaders paradise.

There is a body of thought which believes that opinion polls are being used to try and influence how you vote.

In other words to big up the preferred party of those people paying for the opinion poll to be carried out.

Yes. Maybe a better thread topic would be "What exactly is the point of opinion polls?"

I was brought up and taught, that if you work hard you will reap your reward and this has often been the case.I believe that this will also be the case for many hard working people under the current Goverment.However if you want to get by in life and do sod all, then fear the worse because it's all going to end .Had Labour got in then it would once again be freeloaders paradise.

Work hard doing what? I've known and know people who've grafted hard for years for very little reward just to get by.

I'm not massively into politics, but I really don't get the point of exit opinion polls. Surely the whole point of these is to second guess what the result might be, and therefore there is a pretty high risk that it could be wrong. So what's the point of an investigation into it?

Are they going to investigate every one of those 22,000 people to see where it went wrong?

If the exit opinion poll is always going to be relied upon and be accurate, then just use this to select a government instead - save us all a wasted trip!

I think they should just be done away with, I don't think it's right to try and influence the public in any way, and that includes trying to guess who will be in before the voting takes place.

Edited by Bottletop

Twofold.

Pollsters "big up" their product claiming they are more accurate than they are, plus do not publish their full workings, just the numbers of people polled.

News agencies accept them as accurate and report them as so.