Magpie kills young blackbird

Just heard a terrific commotion outside. I went to investigate and saw a magpie in our garden with a young blackbird in its beak, the parents going frantic around it. I chased it away and it dropped the bird but it was too late, it was dead.

I have never seen this before, I knew that magpies took baby birds out of nests but not one of this size, it was almost full grown. sickening.

Just heard a terrific commotion outside. I went to investigate and saw a magpie in our garden with a young blackbird in its beak, the parents going frantic around it. I chased it away and it dropped the bird but it was too late, it was dead.

I have never seen this before, I knew that magpies took baby birds out of nests but not one of this size, it was almost full grown. sickening.

how sad but thats the way of nature

I have to say, something needs to be done about the magpie population. Lovely birds, but decimating the smaller wild bird population :(

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=10985563&highlight=magpie#post10985563