Inequality in the Uk

waits for comments, "these are the winners", etc, of course they are, but the difference is so immense, it doesn't bode well for social cohesion.

And now we have voted them back in, I was very upset at this.

The voting system keeps the status quo, and big money behind the parties.

There is money enough in India to create a welfare state, but not the political will.

Maybe the Indian government have seen the results of our welfare state. I think Beveridge would turn in his grave if he saw the outcome of what he created in 1947. The welfare state was set up as a safety net for families. Now people happily live off it and don't feel the need to work.

Why would they want a system like that? The poor have a better work ethic over there even if they work for peanuts. Give them free money and they'll sit back..;)

There isn't that much inequality.

Rich and poor have access to healthcare. The rich have to make a contribution sometimes. The poor do not

Both have access to food. The wealthy have to pay for it. The poor do not.

Both have a roof over their heads. Once again the rich pay for the poor to be housed.

Both have access to transport. The poor pay a lot less on the bus than the wealthy do in their cars. However the poor get huge advantages of unequal use of the available road space.

Both have access to jobs. Both can better themselves.

yesterday I watched the traffic on Eccleshall Road leading to the suburbs and the countryside:, at 5.00 pm nearly every fifth car was a BMW, Sports Car, Chelsea Tractor,

meanwhile five or six miles away, food banks were in massive demand

a divided nation indeed, and now stand by for South American levels of inequality.

waits for comments, "these are the winners", etc, of course they are, but the difference is so immense, it doesn't bode well for social cohesion.

Sheff hallam is the 2nd richest boro behind kensington and chelsea. Its always been that way.

Having a car on finance doesn't make you that inequal with someone who uses a food bank.

Agreed. Its not hard or particularly expensive to get a bmw on hire purchase or lease..

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 12:22 ----------

Meanwhile, back on topic....

Yes, there is huge inequality in the Uk, and it's only going to get worse.

Not only that, but the whole nature of the country seems to be changing too. There seems to be a meanspirited winners and losers mentality - and win by any means as well.

There doesn't seem to be much compassion or thoughtfulness anymore; not much empathy and no sympathy.

This is not the sort of country I want to live in I'm afraid. And judging by the number of people looking to emigrate, neither do they.

The richest 1% just doubled their wealth in the years after recession. But peoole just voted for a party which will create more inequality...what can you do apart from move abroad or work for a better government next time?

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 12:36 ----------

There isn't that much inequality.

Rich and poor have access to healthcare. The rich have to make a contribution sometimes. The poor do not

Both have access to food. The wealthy have to pay for it. The poor do not.

Both have a roof over their heads. Once again the rich pay for the poor to be housed.

Both have access to transport. The poor pay a lot less on the bus than the wealthy do in their cars. However the poor get huge advantages of unequal use of the available road space.

Both have access to jobs. Both can better themselves.

The rich might work smart but nobody can tell me its just down to 'hard work' because its not. Lots of people work hard equally but dont end up the same.

The rich dont actually create wealth, its either handed down to them or created off the back of labour. They then leverage wealth to create more wealth.

I dont have a problem with wealth creation per say. Have 2 small businesses myself. But under the current system trickle down doesnt work. Taxes are not being paid. Individuals are dodging paying their fair share. Austerity shouldnt be necessary.

inequality comes when the poor experience a disproportionate reduction in living standards as we will see under austerity. Its not a level playing field.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 12:43 ----------

Maybe the Indian government have seen the results of our welfare state. I think Beveridge would turn in his grave if he saw the outcome of what he created in 1947. The welfare state was set up as a safety net for families. Now people happily live off it and don't feel the need to work.

Why would they want a system like that? The poor have a better work ethic over there even if they work for peanuts. Give them free money and they'll sit back..;)

The welfare system will be dismantled. Cameron wants the private sector to save the day and provide jobs fir everyone. All well and good until the economy goes tits up.

Edited by ubermaus

yesterday I watched the traffic on Eccleshall Road leading to the suburbs and the countryside:, at 5.00 pm nearly every fifth car was a BMW, Sports Car, Chelsea Tractor,

meanwhile five or six miles away, food banks were in massive demand

a divided nation indeed, and now stand by for South American levels of inequality.

Have gone past the disbelief phase

Still in the angry phase....headed towards depression :shakes: