Will you leave UK when NHS is privatised?

Will you leave UK when NHS is privatised?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Will you leave UK when NHS is privatised?

No, we stand and fight

What's this, another alias?

What kind on nonsense is this??

Mmmm you're well reasoned debating skills will probably persuade everyone that all is well with the NHS. But then again. maybe not, hey?

Its a kind of head in sand response.

A large part of it is already in private hands. There's the PFIs, dentists, Care Homes, Chiropodists etc etc.. Some of which the Labour Party are responsible for. The NHS has never been free, its paid for by the population. The question is how much longer can we afford to pay. There's going to have to be a hike in taxes or other methods.

I can't understand how other methods are always shouted down before being really considered. If an insurance method was introduced it would just mean paying a monthly premium for those in work. To compensate this one would pay less tax and wouldn't be any worse off. While those on low income have theirs paid by the state.

Privatisation doesn't mean turning up to see your GP with a £20.00 note. The only issue for me would be if the government did reduce taxes for those who pay premiums.

The NHS is over rated, it's very poorly run and could be run much more efficiently.

Don't forget GP's. They have ALWAYS been private businesses paid by the NHS.

The reason that you can't get to see your GP is because of the 2004 GP contract settlement which increased GP's income while reducing their regular and out of hours comittments.

2004, that would have been a Labour NHS **** up.

Edited by Eric Arthur

I looked at private health insurance for Greece and the company quoted 3 different packages cheapest was about £233 pm.

Keep an address in uk. Simple.

---------- Post added 10-05-2015 at 11:26 ----------

Do you believe it?

Cameron said he would renegotiate five years ago and the EU keep telling him no! He's still conning the public he can renegotiate!

We will stay in the eu. Most people want to stay. There is a limit to what he can do..changing our inward terms is more likely. Stuff like benefits for immigrants.

What's this, another alias?

What's this, someone else who thinks its their job to work out who's who. Why is this forum full of people accusing people of being someone else. Is paranoia common on here.

Can I assume you are one the lefties I referred to, and rather than discuss the message, look for a way to shoot the messenger. :hihi::hihi:

A large part of it is already in private hands. There's the PFIs, dentists, Care Homes, Chiropodists etc etc.. Some of which the Labour Party are responsible for. The NHS has never been free, its paid for by the population. The question is how much longer can we afford to pay. There's going to have to be a hike in taxes or other methods.

I can't understand how other methods are always shouted down before being really considered. If an insurance method was introduced it would just mean paying a monthly premium for those in work. To compensate this one would pay less tax and wouldn't be any worse off. While those on low income have theirs paid by the state.

Privatisation doesn't mean turning up to see your GP with a £20.00 note. The only issue for me would be if the government did reduce taxes for those who pay premiums.

The NHS is over rated, it's very poorly run and could be run much more efficiently.

On the face of it, medical insurance might seem to be the answer, but it is fraught with problems. Insurance is like any other business, and run for profit. For a start it won't cover certain illnesses, nor difficult situations. Basically it only likes to insure people who won't cost them money. The premiums for anything else can be exhorbitant, and well outside the pocket of many ordinary people, leaving them high and dry with critical illness.

Also, as with many other types of insurance, it can be very hard getting them to pay out, and a logistical and administrative nightmare. Not what you need when you are ill.

Generally, speaking from experience, Insurance is getting a bad name for taking people's money in good times but fighting tooth and nail not to give it out when times are bad. Why should medical insurance be any different?

On the face of it, medical insurance might seem to be the answer, but it is fraught with problems. Insurance is like any other business, and run for profit. For a start it won't cover certain illnesses, nor difficult situations. Basically it only likes to insure people who won't cost them money. The premiums for anything else can be exhorbitant, and well outside the pocket of many ordinary people, leaving them high and dry with critical illness.

Also, as with many other types of insurance, it can be very hard getting them to pay out, and a logistical and administrative nightmare. Not what you need when you are ill.

Generally, speaking from experience, Insurance is getting a bad name for taking people's money in good times but fighting tooth and nail not to give it out when times are bad. Why should medical insurance be any different?

I agree here, insurance isn't the answer. The Nhs is the answer - and we've got that already - free at point of delivery. However there's no reason we can't get better value for money for it. The private sector can and does do things better - logistics for example. But for the rest of it, it's more of the same really. I genuinly don't think the Tories will take it apart to the point we all have to get private medical insurance.

Let me state this up front: In my opinion the NHS does need to be changed, and people should pay for it, through a direct tax that is effectively uncoupled from other taxes (think license fee). However - the Dutch system went full insurance based some ten years ago. At first it looked like things had improved from the previous situation where a different sort of insurance/public health hybrid was replaced.

In the past years, due in no small part to the crisis and huge unemployment, the insurance base-rate is going up year on year, certain services have been taken out of the basic package that used to be standard and the whole thing has eroded to a travesty. To make matters worse, in the new system the insurers gained control of healthcare facilities throughout the country, previously publicly run, now we see hospitals, care-homes, elderly homes, facilities for the disabled and so on go bankrupt all over the place, leaving huge parts of the country without cover at all. My terminal grandmother was told a week before her treatment was supposed to start that they couldn't treat her because the hospital closed. My autistic cousin is on his fifth placement in two years, all four other offerings were declared bankrupt.

Things are terrible there now, it is a mix of two approaches that simply does not work, some things have to be left public and risk-free for the end-users and I hope the Tories know that, but I have a feeling they don't.