Wincobank and blackburn station

does anyone remember the old railway station on Blackburn road I lived opposite the station with my grandparents next to the old Methodist church were I was christened, both my nan, granddad along with 2 aunts worked at the railway station. my granddad could often be seen sat on a wall at the bottom of their garden watching the trains go by, the driver would blow his whistle if he saw him sitting there granddad would check his watch making sure it was on time his name was Charlie belk the same as my dad they were a well known family in lower wincobank everyone knew them can't see anyone still being alive from those days in the 50s and 60s I remember those days well x

does anyone remember the old railway station on Blackburn road I lived opposite the station with my grandparents next to the old Methodist church were I was christened, both my nan, granddad along with 2 aunts worked at the railway station. my granddad could often be seen sat on a wall at the bottom of their garden watching the trains go by, the driver would blow his whistle if he saw him sitting there granddad would check his watch making sure it was on time his name was Charlie belk the same as my dad they were a well known family in lower wincobank everyone knew them can't see anyone still being alive from those days in the 50s and 60s I remember those days well x

Hi cookingfat50,

Can't be of much help I'm afraid.

I lived at Shiregreen on the Flower Estate from 1957 until I married in 1966, and have driven under the railway bridge near the station what seems millions of times. I would turn right to Rotherham and therefore unfortunately don't have a clear picture in my mind of the station. My first wife's grandmother lived somewhere opposite the station, her surname was Johnson. I remember being told that she had a pig named Carl but don't suppose you new it :)

I vaughly recall, from about 1961, that her daughter and son in law parked their car on what I think was rough ground at the bottom of the garden which sloped upwards, possibly backing on to Meadowhall Farm.

Have you looked on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk. There are half a dozen pics of the station in question I believe. Type in s25791 to 6

Regards, Peter.

I've often wondered what this would have looked like when working.

It's a house now, we walk our dogs past all the time (though one of my pooches has a particular dislike of the dog that lives there!! :))

It's a lovely building even now. I've only lived in the area for a year, and in Sheffield 8 years so I never knew it when it was a train station.

Meadowhall and Wincobank Station on Wikipedia

(not to be confused with Wincobank & Meadowhall Station which was on the Midland Line and which closed in 1956)

it's often confused with meadowhall station I think that's now derelict the one on Blackburn road wasn't part of the main line it wasabranch line and merged with the main line, I used to ride on the foot plate to chapeltown and get nother one back my granddad knew all the drivers and he got me the rides H&S didn't exist then couldn't do it now a days, Dr beeching has a lot to answer for as far as the railways are concerned cost thousands of jobs and small stations bad days x

But Meadowhall & Wincobank Station closed to passengers in 1953 and Wincobank & Meadowhall Station closed in 1956, both well before Dr Beeching took up the position of chariman of British Railways.

The fact that both closed so early suggests that passenger numbers at both were rather small, not surprising, perhaps, in a large urban area with good bus services.

Let it not be forgotten that Dr Beeching did not close any railway lines, he only recommended the closures: the final decision as to retain or close rested with the secretary of state.

My aunt and uncle lived at Blackburn station late 60s to mid 70s I'm told there was a dispute between Sheffield an Rotherham council as to whether it was in Sheffield or Rotherham and as they couldn't decide, British rail had to move them out until it was decided, my uncle was a train driver at the time and has only recently retired, there's already an existing thread about Blackburn station

I lived in Wincobank from 1947 to 1950. We then moved to Firth Park. While at Wincobank we used to catch the train at the Brighside Station and go to Elsecar for the day. With regards to the bridge between Wincobank and Blackburn, a boy called Roy Wall who was hearing impaired was killed crossing the rail track there. That would be 1947-49 He went to our school in Wincobank.

Hi, cookingfat50, We've lived on Blackburn Road for 8 years, there are only a handful of houses remaining now. Two on the left, the same side as the railway house but further up where the school/community centre used to be & seven on the right. Four at the side of the railway pub & the other three are where we are after the turning to New road. It probably looks a lot different now to when you lived here, you don't by any chance have any photos of the Methodist church or the houses surrounding it? My Hubby & I have searched the internet & both Sheffield & Rotherham Librarys but we've not been able to find any photos of the area. :)

Hi Billiethekim, only just found this thread. I spent some of my childhood in this area so interesting reading. I attach a link to Rotherham Images, page 'F'. Towards the bottom of this page are two photos of Blackburn Road which may jog your memory. Hope the link works!

http://www.rotherham-images.co.uk/gallery-remembering.rotherham(f).htm