Good old conservatives

People can't move into a council property "that has more rooms than they need".

Those that are now forced to pay bedroom tax (and this raises every time the rent does) are older people but not pensioners yet because the age has been put up for that as well, who moved in with their familys and were working at the time but no longer are for differing reasons like illness, redundancy, or were women who divorced but stayed in the family home and brought the kids up and now they are grown and left and she wants to go back to work, there are no ruddy jobs.

Please note that in most cases these tenants are those that still retain the right to buy.:suspect:

How come they want to charge bedroom tax on a council rent of under a £100, yet not on a private rented property of over that?

Is it that we are to move back to the time when there were 2/3 family's living in a 2up 2down property?

Also your comment about a large house. Have you ever been in a council house? I pay £12 per week for a 9ftx6ft second bedroom. I did downsize to a 2 from a three bedroom when my kids left home. They will have to carry me out of here in a box. This my home not some figure on a chart.

People of your ilk really P me off. You haven't got a clue.

A few points if I may;

1) You aren't paying a tax, you are getting a smaller subsidy for your house. I currently am responsible for 100% of my housing costs. You don't and yet it is you that is complaining.

2) £12 per week is a fantastic deal. Have a look at the market value of bedrooms in house shares and you will see how good you have it. You are getting so much handed to you already and you are whining because you have to pay approximately 20% of the market value of a room.

3) It is not your home, the council own it. They let you live there really cheaply.

4) It's is a ridiculous leap from you having to pay 12 per week for an extra room to 3 families sharing a 3 bedroomed house .

5) It isn't levied on non council properties because the spare room subsidy was designed to free up council housing stock.

6) Yes people are now being asked to pay for what they use. Shock horror.

There is a shortage of 1 bedroom properties and there are not enough of them for the people who need to downsize.

This is one of the reasons why the bedroom tax is unfair..

A quick search on right move would disagree.

428 one bedroom properties to rent found in sheffield (+3 miles) available NOW.

Just Watching Sky news and we are obliged to take in 30000 immigrants from the Mediterranean Sea problem every year.we are making drastic cuts to the benefit system so what do we do just add 30000 more people to the benefit system who have no skills and can not speak English.it just don't make sense

Just Watching Sky news and we are obliged to take in 30000 immigrants from the Mediterranean Sea problem every year.we are making drastic cuts to the benefit system so what do we do just add 30000 more people to the benefit system who have no skills and can not speak English.it just don't make sense

I would rather fund them than you and your family. You have been given every conceivable advantage in life, such as a free education, free health care, living in a thriving economy etc and you still can't support your own family.

I think investing in these people is a better choice in the long term.

There is a shortage of 1 bedroom properties and there are not enough of them for the people who need to downsize.

This is one of the reasons why the bedroom tax is unfair..

It should only be applied to people who refuse to move (which means a suitable property must exist).

But in principle there's nothing wrong with it, it's just the implementation that's unfair.

I'm not convinced there should be child benefit at all. Why should the state subsidise lifestyle choices. If it didn't exist already it would be thought a ludicrous proposition. Wholesale child benefit should be scrapped and the billions saved used to better support children who really need it.

Regarding accident or illness, a responsible parent would take out insurance for that very scenario.

At the very least it should simply be a tax code adjustment, far less of an administrative burden that way.

But of course then it doesn't help those who aren't working at all, since they already don't pay any tax.