Would you have fish and chips from the chippy on a Monday?

Don't know if this is true or not, but if anyone could educate me it would be very welcome.

I have been told that you should never buy fish, or have fish from the chippy on a Monday as the fish isn't fresh as there is no 'Catch' on Sunday's. I have noticed that quite a few of my local chippies are not open on Monday's.

I really want fish and chips for tea! :)

Don't know if this is true or not, but if anyone could educate me it would be very welcome.

I have been told that you should never buy fish, or have fish from the chippy on a Monday as the fish isn't fresh as there is no 'Catch' on Sunday's. I have noticed that quite a few of my local chippies are not open on Monday's.

I really want fish and chips for tea! :)

That used to be the case before the advent of fridges. Hardly makes much difference these days. For example, what do you think butchers do with all their unsold meat at the end of every day?

That used to be the case before the advent of fridges. Hardly makes much difference these days. For example, what do you think butchers do with all their unsold meat at the end of every day?

So it's OK then? just a myth..

Mmm i really am craving some. My local chippy (four lanes) is closed today though so i wonder where will be open.

So it's OK then? just a myth..

Given poppet's bold, it's probably likely a mixture of both of what you said in the OP. (is it myth?; and your noticing of common Monday closures)

If in the [distantish] past this was the reason for common Monday closures, it's probably just passed on through time as being the the most acceptable day to close. There is still a sprinkling of a few other of these 'old habits', e.g. banks/POs and Docs with the half-day Thursday, and Sat.

Personally I'd never noticed Chippy's in general being closed on Mondays, other than ones owned by Chinese people. From what I can recall the Chinese takeaways don't cook on Mondays for the reasons above (IOW traditionally crap quality fish available on Mondays, so people don't go, so they close) - (that's a guess before anyone posts that as bullsh.)

(more importantly, goodness knows what Tuesday's fish was like if this was the case in the past! people tended to not throw things away then! :hihi::gag:)

-

Perhaps a far simpler explanation, and that all chippys have looked at their takings over the years, and realised that Monday is consistently the worst day for some reason, hence that's the most business sense day to close :hihi:

Once upon a time people had fish on Fridays for religious reasons, and it was fresh.

Over the weekend it wasn't delivered fresh, by Monday it could have been a bit iffy.

Its totally irrelevant in the modern 24/7 delivery schedule. The fish may not be caught fresh but do you think any of that stuff in the shops was caught on the day you bought it.

btw most chip shops never used to open Sundays either so Mondays could be a red herring.

I'm wondering if the fish suppliers fish wasn't too good on a Monday. What did the chippy's think they did with it? Throw it away?...More likely, they sold it to the chippy's on a Tuesday, or at least mixed it in with Mondays catch.