Would you have fish and chips from the chippy on a Monday?

So it's OK then? just a myth..

Mmm i really am craving some. My local chippy (four lanes) is closed today though so i wonder where will be open.

The one on the bridge opposite the Rawson are nice...

I have been told that you should never buy fish, or have fish from the chippy on a Monday as the fish isn't fresh as there is no 'Catch' on Sunday's. I have noticed that quite a few of my local chippies are not open on Monday's.

The trawler doesn't pop out to sea in the morning, gobble up all the fish and pop back to port in time for tea.

They're usually out for three or four days per trip, catching fish the whole time.

Caught fish is stuck on ice till it gets back to port.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 13:50 ----------

For example, what do you think butchers do with all their unsold meat at the end of every day?

The fish counter (at supermarkets) usually stick the unsold fish from the display into the cellophane packets, to be stuck on the shelves.

They get a daily delivery for the fish bar, the fresh stuff go's on there.

So the freshest stuff is on the bar, and yesterdays leftovers are stuck on the shelves.

If you worked Saturday you'd want Monday off too.

Cole Brothers were closed on Mondays until only a few years ago.

I never knew why, then a Coles shop girl told me that her frock was always off quickly come late Saturday night.

The fish counter (at supermarkets) usually stick the unsold fish from the display into the cellophane packets, to be stuck on the shelves.

They get a daily delivery for the fish bar, the fresh stuff go's on there.

So the freshest stuff is on the bar, and yesterdays leftovers are stuck on the shelves.

Which is why in some supermarkets the fish counter smells. Hardly an advertisement

To buy fish in that condition.

Fresh fish isn't suppose to smell!

When I used to work in a restaurant, we never had a fish delivery on a Monday. Anyone lucky enough to have fish on a Monday had the stuff we got delivered on Saturday.

That's the story chef's tell too. I think it was in Anthony Bourdin's book - he was advising never, ever eat fish in a restaurant on a Monday.