Why do people object to Call to Prayer?

Jedi isn't a religion.

In what way? It was listed on the list of religions for the 2001 UK census.

Religion is nothing more than an organised collection of beliefs and cultural systems with views that relate humanity and its existence. Why can people not call themselves Jedi if they have the same beliefs, culture and believe in a single reason for the existence of humanity?

In what way? It was listed on the list of religions for the 2001 UK census.

I think that's what some people entered as their religion..it wasn't on an official "pick one of these" lists ..you could have entered "South Yorkshire Pigeon Fancier" if you wanted..unless you know different of course..

No, because that would quite clearly break the law.

But if broadcasting some chanting doesn't, then tough, not breaking the law = okay to carry on.

Why does everything have to come down to the law? We do not live in a police state. We live in a semi-Christian country with a shared culture and traditions that make us who we are. These are shared with our peers across Europe and the further you travel away from our shore the more alien these foreign traditions become.

The UK is a mish-mash of cultures, but these are more organised than you care to consider, they have more connections and share many values with the UK and so assimilate into the population easier and quick. It's no giant leap that the young men and women who leave the UK for ISIS do so because they do not have a British identity. They feel alienated by our country because they do no assimilate into our population. They do not share our values or culture.

I challenge you to try the following, go to one of the typically culturally British festival held across the country over the summer. Walk around and see how many foreign people you see who come from beyond the EU. You will see black people, as they are as much British as you or I, but you will note the other missing faces in the crowd if you look for them. This is only a tiny part of a larger issue, but I feel it is significant. If those who wish to set-up their lives and families in the UK are not taking any interest in the cultural aspects of our country, is it any wonder that their offspring have a crisis of identity and get seduced by the likes of ISIS.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 11:50 ----------

I think that's what some people entered as their religion..it wasn't on an official "pick one of these" lists ..you could have entered "South Yorkshire Pigeon Fancier" if you wanted..unless you know different of course..

No it was on the list. It wasn't a blanks space to fill in. It was listed (apparently).

Because the law is how we define what's allowed and what isn't. How else should it work, the collective opinion of SheffieldForum?

You're right, we don't live in a police state, and we do allow freedom of religion... So what is you're arguing for now? How do you propose to stop the call to prayer if it isn't illegal?

Would you like to stop the celebrations for Chinese new year as well? They're not Christian, and they're not native to the UK... And they cause Manchester city centre to be practically closed to traffic for a day... (That was just in reference to your typically cultural British festival btw).

Edited by Cyclone

No it was on the list. It wasn't a blanks space to fill in. It was listed (apparently).

"Jedi was assigned its own code in the United Kingdom for census processing, the number 896.[29] Officials from the Office for National Statistics pointed out that this merely means that it has been registered as a common answer to the "religion" question and that this does not confer on it the status of official recognition. "

from Wiki..

What's your point anyway, I only said that I think it's okay, are you trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong? Or just that not all people agree (I knew that already thanks). Edit - Berberis, not Truman

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 12:01 ----------

"Jedi was assigned its own code in the United Kingdom for census processing, the number 896.[29] Officials from the Office for National Statistics pointed out that this merely means that it has been registered as a common answer to the "religion" question and that this does not confer on it the status of official recognition. "

from Wiki..

What is an "officially recognised religion"?

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 12:01 ----------

It does not define EVERY aspect of our lives.

What thing/behaviour is legal but can't be done for some other reason?

As legal as Christian law or Jewish law, which is to say that it can't overrule the law of the land, but can be used to arbitrate disputes, why?

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 11:29 ----------

So can you be a Christian or a Muslim in the UK, or does the state stop you?

Why!!!!! well, I have been left to believe that under Sharia law one may obtain a divorce by some word utterances performed by a Mulla .

So is that legal in this Country when proper citizens have to pay a solicitor and then go to court to have a marriage ended.

If it is true then it is another instance where there is one rule for the Muslim population and one rule for the indigenous one.

Remember I have put the word if.