Why do people object to Call to Prayer?

No, that wouldn't be a legal divorce in the UK, no more than a Vicar can divorce you or a Rabbis.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:19 ----------

Why!!!!! well, I have been left to believe that under Sharia law one may obtain a divorce by some word utterances performed by a Mulla .

So is that legal in this Country when proper citizens have to pay a solicitor and then go to court to have a marriage ended.

If it is true then it is another instance where there is one rule for the Muslim population and one rule for the indigenous one.

Remember I have put the word if.

I don't think there's anything to stop a non Muslim agreeing to be arbitrated by a Muslim court though, or Jewish or Christian. Although why you'd want to I don't know.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:20 ----------

Cannibalism. Its not illegal and neither is tax avoidance.

You think cannibalism isn't illegal? Interesting. Nope, it's not. So go ahead, eat your own arm, or if you can get a volunteer eat theirs. There's nothing to stop you!

Tax avoidance is not illegal, and that's why everyone is doing it.

Edited by Cyclone

Because the law is how we define what's allowed and what isn't. How else should it work, the collective opinion of SheffieldForum?

You're right, we don't live in a police state, and we do allow freedom of religion... So what is you're arguing for now? How do you propose to stop the call to prayer if it isn't illegal?

Would you like to stop the celebrations for Chinese new year as well? They're not Christian, and they're not native to the UK... And they cause Manchester city centre to be practically closed to traffic for a day... (That was just in reference to your typically cultural British festival btw).

The Chinese are welcome immigrants to the U.K,

They go about there business ,make no demands ,do not push their religious belief and integrate in a dignified manner.

You think cannibalism isn't illegal? Interesting. Nope, it's not. So go ahead, eat your own arm, or if you can get a volunteer eat theirs. There's nothing to stop you!

Would you eat a person? No, why, because its culturally prohibited. Its not illegal but you are prevented from doing so. This is the answer to your question:

What thing/behaviour is legal but can't be done for some other reason?

Tax avoidance is not illegal, and that's why everyone is doing it.

Correct (I think I said it first) its not illegal, but do you avoid tax if everyone does it? No. Yet another example of how all aspects of our lives are not governed by laws.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:40 ----------

The Chinese are welcome immigrants to the U.K,

They go about there business ,make no demands ,do not push their religious belief and integrate in a dignified manner.

Correct, I would put the Buddists, Hindus & Sikhs into this group too. They all have very different religious beliefs but they do not allow them to contradict the already in situ rules and cultural norms of the UK.

Edited by Berberis

Correct (I think I said it first) its not illegal, but do you avoid tax if everyone does it? No. Yet another example of how all aspects of our lives are not governed by laws.

If everyone does it it just means everyone does it..we'd all be avoiding tax surely? How would I not be?

Would you eat a person? No, why, because its culturally prohibited. Its not illegal but you are prevented from doing so. This is the answer to your question:

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:40 ----------

Correct, I would put the Buddists, Hindus & Sikhs into this group too. They all have very different religious beliefs but they do not allow them to contradict the already in situ rules and cultural norms of the UK.

My pal is a full turban wearing Sikh who I have known for thirty years after working with him on building sites, we go for a pint or two now and then , in all that time I still have never heard him mention religion so if he has one he keeps it to him self and that is how we all should act.

Er.... what's wrong with masturbation?

Is it a sin? If so I'm going to burn in hell for a very very long time. And so are a lot of people....

I heard a statistic on this: in a survey they found:

100% of men masturbate

whilst

25% of women masturbate

and

75% of women are liars

I don't think there is anything wrong with masturbating! I was just very VERY surprised to learn that you don't masturbate if you are Muslim!

I wanted someone to clarify it for me. I learn something new everyday.

See my Bold.... Very funny :hihi::hihi:

Wrong. Sikhs are exempt from wearing a helmet on a motorbike.

Sikhs are permitted to carry their ritual Kirpan dagger around with them at all times, as part of their religious dress and code.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

Edited by poppet2

I don't think there is anything wrong with masturbating! I was just very VERY surprised to learn that you don't masturbate if you are Muslim!

I wanted someone to clarify it for me. I learn something new everyday.

See my Bold.... Very funny :hihi::hihi:

I worked with a hod carrier who's nick name was flogie.

He said that if any one had done it more than him then they had four pairs of flippen!! hands:hihi:

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 15:49 ----------

Sikhs are permitted to carry their ritual Kirpan dagger around with them at all times, as part of their religious dress and code.

Never seen my pal with a dagger but there again he wouldn't mention it .

Are you claiming then that in the UK you do not have freedom of religion?

I'm not going to argue if that's your claim, the facts speak for themselves, no matter how you try to twist it.

The facts are that some people can't follow their religious beliefs because doing so would be against the law.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 20:42 ----------

Freedom of religion is not freedom to interpret it and commit illegal acts. You are free to follow Islam, Christianity or Jedi. You're not free to stone rape victims just because you're a Muslim or a Christian and you don't have the power to judge and sentence people just because you're a Jedi.

But we all knew that and you two are just arguing about it because you can't help yourselves.

Its not freedom if they have to interpret their religion in a way that suits you.

---------- Post added 14-05-2015 at 20:45 ----------

So can you be a Christian or a Muslim in the UK, or does the state stop you?

There are no countries that stop people being Christian or Muslim, so if that's the basis of freedom of religion then every country offers freedom of religion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8500712.stm

You see, I used the phrase "in situ", meaning laws that where here before they were. Helmet laws came into force long after Sikhs were already living in the Uk and so as part of the introduction they were given special permission not to wear a helmet.

A law introduced now should try to take into account all opinions where necessary, while those who come to the Uk long after a law is passed should not expect special treatment or be allowed to ignore said law. Thats is my opinion.

Edited by Berberis