Would you report a crime if you saw it in progress

Would you report a crime that you were witness too  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report a crime that you were witness too

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please explain)

No I don't.. I was just countering your view that anything that happened in public would be on CCTV so you would have no need to report crime..

Okay, point taken.

It's just people who claim that often overlook the loss of privacy.

Too emotional and little evidence presented in a debate like this.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 14:50 ----------

So a quick shout out to any crims out there - find out where RickyM lives, and rob his house blind. He doesnt trust the police so he will never report it.

Repeat every few months :D

Haha!

I've got a big dog that would look forward to it!!!

So a quick shout out to any crims out there - find out where RickyM lives, and rob his house blind. He doesnt trust the police so he will never report it.

Repeat every few months :D

I dont trust the police. Lots of people dont. I think you have to take that into account before calling people out for not reporting certain crimes.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 14:54 ----------

Yes, No and Other.

To be clear, lets use an example, we're not talking about spitting gum in the street or dropping a cigarette butt, a more serious crime, like mugging, assault, car theft, arson, burglary, that sort of thing.

Would you report it, would you not or do you need to choose other and explain.

completely loaded question, with a loaded summary...mugging, assault, car theft, arson, burglary

which one is it???

and under what situation?

two massive blokes are beating someone up with baseball bats and say there going to come round and beat your mum up if you say anything?

or do you see a random burglary and can report anonymously?

or do you walk along a road and see a random car window smashed in, obv a break in?

report or not report will be different answers everytime...

Edited by ubermaus

I dont trust the police. Lots of people dont. I think you have to take that into account before calling people out for not reporting certain crimes.

Thanks.

I'm not condoning the criminals but what the police did to me means I wont have anything to do with them.

I know how they operate, what drives them and how they think and I don't like it.

We people have no power to defend ourselves against the police - even innocent ones.

People should be careful..........I didn't even do anything and it didn't help me.

completely loaded question, with a loaded summary...mugging, assault, car theft, arson, burglary

which one is it???

Does it matter? :roll:

I mean, really?

Yes, No and Other.

To be clear, lets use an example, we're not talking about spitting gum in the street or dropping a cigarette butt, a more serious crime, like mugging, assault, car theft, arson, burglary, that sort of thing.

Would you report it, would you not or do you need to choose other and explain.

:roll:

You've already given enough rope to hang yourself with on that one in t'other thread, ubermaus. You can stop digging ;)

They would certainly benefit me if I was to be victim to a serious crime.

I assume if you ever get assaulted or raped, you wouldnt want the perp found, at least it would save their time....

It's a lot about quid pro quo isn't it.

If I saw a car being stolen I'd report it. I'd hope that if my car were being stolen right now, someone would report it.

So I behave how I want other people to behave.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:08 ----------

How is it loaded? It's a straight forward question.

which one is it???

Take your pick, the question is about reporting relatively serious crimes. Not a specific one.

and under what situation? two massive blokes are beating someone up with baseball bats and say

You're in a conversation with them now? And indeed the victim of a crime.

there going to come round and beat your mum up if you say anything? or do you see a random burglary and can report anonymously?

Whatever you like, would you report crimes you see or not?

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:09 ----------

If I see someone breaking into someone else's property - Yes

If I see someone violently attack another person - Yes

If I see someone being mugged - Yes

If I can hear screams coming from next door - Yes

If I see kids smashing up the bus stop across the road - Yes (the little chuffs never get caught though!)

If I see someone taking drugs - No

If I see someone talking on the phone whilst driving - No

If I see someone speeding or running red lights - No

If I know of someone involved in growing cannabis - No

Pretty similar to how I'd answer that list tbh.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:10 ----------

So, you want to be filmed everywhere you go then?

It's astonishing you don't see the privacy implications if so.

He didn't say that, he said that in public you are not always on CCTV, hence why the police might want witnesses... Or indeed they might be able to respond immediately and save someones life.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:11 ----------

SAME. I pick and choose my battles.

Normal people know there is never a black and white answer to reporting a crime, and its not immoral to decide not to report a crime. For instance 'its nothing to do with us' or 'im scared of intimidation'. All valid reasons.

We all trust the police to different degrees to actually protect us should we report a crime too.

You pick and choose and said on the other thread you wouldn't report car theft unless it's your own, and would only grudgingly report an assault.

Edited by Cyclone

Thanks.

I'm not condoning the criminals but what the police did to me means I wont have anything to do with them.

I know how they operate, what drives them and how they think and I don't like it.

We people have no power to defend ourselves against the police - even innocent ones.

People should be careful..........I didn't even do anything and it didn't help me.

You could always call crime stoppers from a phone box...

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:28 ----------

I'm heartened to see that 82% of the people who've taken the time to vote would report serious crimes.

I hope I don't know any of the 18% that wouldn't, as I find their attitude to be concerning.

Does it matter? :roll:

I mean, really?

:roll:

I think it does matter. Not all crimes are the same and some you may have a reason not to report.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 15:33 ----------

You pick and choose and said on the other thread you wouldn't report car theft unless it's your own, and would only grudgingly report an assault.

All I can say is your competency in asking leading / loaded questions is only matched by your complete inadequacy in answering any questions that invalidate your claims.