Would you report a crime if you saw it in progress

Would you report a crime that you were witness too  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you report a crime that you were witness too

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please explain)

I once lived in a flat over a shop....late one night I witnessed someone (one of two people) launch a brick through a plate glass window directly opposite. I didn't have a home phone and it was waaay before mobile phones. Unfortunately the nearest phone box was directly outside the shop they were robbing. So I had to wait until they were gone before I could make a call, which I did. I've no idea if they were ever caught.

So yes...certain crimes I definitely would report.

Indeed, and I believe that's why they were qualified as "serious" crime, with examples provided such as "mugging, assault, car theft, arson, burglary", all for the convenience of the hard of understanding :)

If you can't report it on the spot, there is nothing to stop you from getting to a safe place/distance and reporting it then.

As for not reporting it at all...well, that's for you to debate with your conscience (you will note that I grant you the assumed possession of such ;)).

Just don't forget not to be a hypocrite bemoaning others who should fail to report a crime that affects you (not that I wish any such thing on you, of course) or, for that matter, bemoaning the growing self-centering, indifference and individualism in society (slowly following your example, I fear). Personally, I see this as a symptom of Gvt-interfered and -assisted living, stripping away individual and, gradually, collective responsibility.

I like how some people take the moral highground but in REALITY we often observe this not to be case.

All Ive said is there is a difference between crimes and some I would report and others not. Selfishness does come into the equation - but thats natural and human.

I would hope if someone would report a crime too like I might, but I might understand if not and would not necessarily call someone immoral for not doing so - it depends on the context.

And thats all I've said. 1) there is a difference between crimes 2) it depends on the context 3) morality is not decided by who does or does not report crimes- its influenced by number 1 and 2.

thats it.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 16:02 ----------

Rights, but not responsibilities. The right to be protected from crime, but no responsibility to assist the police in doing so.

The level of helping the police doesnt make anyone more or less 'immoral' or more or less 'responsible' - did you take ethics classes at Uni? im guessing not.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 16:03 ----------

I once lived in a flat over a shop....late one night I witnessed someone (one of two people) launch a brick through a plate glass window directly opposite. I didn't have a home phone and it was waaay before mobile phones. Unfortunately the nearest phone box was directly outside the shop they were robbing. So I had to wait until they were gone before I could make a call, which I did. I've no idea if they were ever caught.

So yes...certain crimes I definitely would report.

same...certain crimes I would report too. Thats just normal. Running around reporting every crime, regardless of the situation and consequences of doing so is not normal.

Edited by ubermaus

I like how some people take the moral highground but in REALITY we often observe this not to be case.
In France there has long (long, long, long) been a statutory duty to render assistance to a person in danger. And prosecutions and convictions for those found to have been looking the other way.

I was brought up in that context, besides what I would call a normative socio-moral code grounded in (I expect-) Christian values, best summed up as "do unto others as you would be done unto you, don't do unto others as you would not want be done unto you". That has made me very principled, probably too much for my own good, but I live accordingly. And report and intervene and step in as and when (thankfully very infrequently).

Be as selfish, cowardly or indifferent as you want, mouse - everyone is human, these are eminently human traits, that I'd never dispute.

Just don't cry in your soup if the sense of social cohesion and community is gradually vanishing, because I have news for you: it is society which defines, over time, what is moral or not. You just come across as surrendering to this growing lack of social cohesion and indifference, when perhaps (in light of your politically-related posts) you should be fighting it.

'thats it'

In France there has long (long, long, long) been a statutory duty to render assistance to a person in danger. And prosecutions and convictions for those found to have been looking the other way.

I was brought up in that context, besides what I would call a normative socio-moral code grounded in (I expect-) Christian values, best summed up as "do unto others as you would be done unto you, don't do unto others as you would not want be done unto you". That has made me very principled, probably too much for my own good, but I live accordingly. And report and intervene and step in as and when (thankfully very infrequently).

Be as selfish, cowardly or indifferent as you want, mouse - everyone is human, these are eminently human traits, that I'd never dispute.

Just don't cry in your soup if the sense of social cohesion and community is gradually vanishing, because I have news for you: it is society which defines, over time, what is moral or not. You just come across as surrendering to this growing lack of social cohesion and indifference, when perhaps (in light of your politically-related posts) you should be fighting it.

'thats it'

Excellent post.

I don't trust the police so how would I know that they didn't try to blame me?

You need to think about the powers of the police.........they don't benefit you!!

So if I saw someone nicking your stuff it would be OK for me to look the other way.

Where did I use the word 'grudingly'??? youve said that twice now.

quote: "assault? yes. If I had to" not the same as 'grudingly'.

Grudgingly suggests a reluctance to report the crime...I didnt say that so you are basing your argument on something that wasnt said.

Well actually, it is pretty much exactly the same as grudgingly.

Well actually, it is pretty much exactly the same as grudgingly.

No its not..

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 19:13 ----------

'thats it'

Dont judge me pal, ive done plenty in the name of justice.

---------- Post added 12-05-2015 at 19:14 ----------

Excellent post.

You would say that numbnuts