What is all this talk of Englishness?

We've had all this talk of 'British values' and DC's 'english votes for english people' speech, along with various MP's talking about a return to englishness and British values, but I don't recall any clear examples stating what any of this rhetoric means?

Iys a waste of time asking on here either you know or you are refusing to see.

Not unlike a lot of people who wil no doubt be supporting your sentiments.

If you really have no imagination try a search engine.

We've had all this talk of 'British values' and DC's 'english votes for english people' speech, along with various MP's talking about a return to englishness and British values, but I don't recall any clear examples stating what any of this rhetoric means?

It doesn't matter because it won't happen; Cameron just said that to strengthen the SNP vote and people were thick enough to believe it.

Probably because British values are to some extent subjective, as well as universal. Political movements tend to use patriotism for their own ends - in a regressive way, like the BNP draping themselves in the Union Jack and being racist towards other that aren't British. But that's very different to the civic nationalism of parties like the SNP whose nationalism, as I see it, is based on inclusiveness.

"British values" means (to me) going back to the social values of the 40/50's. When you could leave your back door open, when you actually knew your neighbours, when they could converse with you in the same language, when your street was a safe place to walk down, when your Local Pub sold REAL ale that tasted of something other than chemicals, when your local school had places in abundance, when your own local Doctor came to see you if you were ill, not some stand in locum who did not know you from Adam. Just simple things that made this Country a pleasure to live in.

Compared to 2015 it was utopia.

Angel1.

Yeah, I bet it was real peachy in the 40's and 50's, what with the 2nd world war taking place, and then the massive hardship and depression that followed for a decade afterwards.

You couldn't be openly gay, in fact having a gay relationship was a crime, women knew their place, and the average life expectancy wasn't actually beyond retirement age! Sounds like a great time to live.

Yeah, I bet it was real peachy in the 40's and 50's, what with the 2nd world war taking place, and then the massive hardship and depression that followed for a decade afterwards.

You couldn't be openly gay, in fact having a gay relationship was a crime, women knew their place, and the average life expectancy wasn't actually beyond retirement age! Sounds like a great time to live.

I agree with you here.

There was a great deal of poverty there is virtually none now.

Progressive right wing policies have done away with that.

There is work available to those who want it.

There is social security for those who don't

Healthcare is universal. Transport is abundant.

Housing is available with central heating and plumbing.

Gay people can do what come naturally to them.

Social mobility is available to all.

We live in good times.

It doesn't matter because it won't happen; Cameron just said that to strengthen the SNP vote and people were thick enough to believe it.

So it was nothing to do with Scots voting for a party with the word "Scotland" in their name who talk about Scottishness and Scots voting for Scotland?

You think that Scots are thick. Are the Irish also thick because they didn't vote Labour either? Londoners? People from Oxford or Cambridge? :suspect:

With Labour supporters like you it's no surprise that they vote SNP. :hihi: