Should Labour move right or left?

Should Labour move right or left?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should Labour move right or left?

• Left
    • Right
    • Stay where they are

Jeremy Corbyn sings The Red Flag right after winning the Leadership

Do they still sing the Red Flag at the end of Labour Party conferences? Or did Tony Blair do away with that?

The media is against him. I've never seen such vitriol, never mind damned lies, ranged against one man.

They certainly seem to be going into maximum overdrive.

Take this headline in The Mail:

Jeremy Corbyn's leadership victory could pave the way for riots, warns former Labour frontbencher Chuka Umunna

Now what Chuka Umunna was actually saying was that a prolonged period of Conservative government might lead to riots like those in 1981. But this is spun in such a way as to put the blame on Corbyn.

Actually Chuka ignores the fact that the 1981 riots were only 2 years into the Conservative's 18 year tenure in office and that policing methods were strongly to blame (Scarman Report 1981), but that's a different debate entirely.

The media seems to have stopped short of blaming Corbyn for male pattern baldness, the poor state of the modern pop charts and chicken no longer tasting like chicken.

For now at least.

Labour could win Scotland back from the SNP now with Corbyn, and in England loads of Liberal democrats and greens could move to labour.

sorry but that is just total garbage. See what happens in the Scottish elections in May. The SNP will get well over 50%, more than everyone else put together, and Labour will in all likelihood be reduced to a rump. Corbyn is just as English as Blair or Thatcher was and he won't make a dent up there in Scotland.

and as for Labour being able to help themselves to Liberal and Green votes, well think again. There isn't any. 6.8 million people voted Liberal in 2010. In 2015, only 2.4 million did. That means there were 4 and a half million Liberal votes going begging in May. Labour only got a minority of them and Labour being unable to convince the deserting Liberals that they were worthy of their vote was one of the main reasons why they lost so badly. Former Liberal voters are not suddenly going to vote for Corbyn. Corbyn isn't going to do any better with people that have formerly voted Liberal than Miliband did. He's going to do much worse.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 08:18 ----------

Corbyn cannot win.

The media is against him.

when Corbyn does go, this is what will happen. His supporters will blame the media and be awash in the comfort of silly conspiracy theories.

they'll do everything except face up to the fact that Corbyn is not good enough. He's not up to the job and even he himself will realise it if he hasn't realised it already. That's why he'll go.

Corbyn cannot win.

The media is against him. I've never seen such vitriol, never mind damned lies, ranged against one man. It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do, what he says or doesn't say, it will be twisted and spun into the most grotesque misinterpretation imaginable.

I remember when the newspapers simply reported the news, not used lies to decide who we should support. I doubt anyone can survive such blatant and unrestrained misreporting.

It's a disgrace really.

even labour mps are against him. it seems the whole world is out of step with him. or could it be the views of the red flag wavers that voted him in as labour leader are out of step with 21st century reality.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 09:22 ----------

sorry but that is just total garbage. See what happens in the Scottish elections in May. The SNP will get well over 50%, more than everyone else put together, and Labour will in all likelihood be reduced to a rump. Corbyn is just as English as Blair or Thatcher was and he won't make a dent up there in Scotland.

an opinion poll in scotland at the weekend had labour loosing a further 12 seats in holyrood may 2016. 3 to the snp and 9 to the tories.

---------- Post added 21-09-2015 at 09:23 ----------

they'll do everything except face up to the fact that Corbyn is not good enough. He's not up to the job and even he himself will realise it if he hasn't realised it already. That's why he'll go.

and the party will appoint an even bigger burk.

Edited by drummonds

The media is against him. I've never seen such vitriol, never mind damned lies, ranged against one man. It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do, what he says or doesn't say, it will be twisted and spun into the most grotesque misinterpretation imaginable..

Which lies are you thinking of? I probably don't consume the right media but I can only recall Jeremy's words and actions being used.

Which lies are you thinking of? I probably don't consume the right media but I can only recall Jeremy's words and actions being used.

Having seen the man in person, and actually heard what he has to say, I can assure you that what is being reported bears no relation to what actually came from the horses mouth.

It is a very carefully edited campaign to discredit every word he says, and woefully mislead the British public in what he is about.

He is a true believer in a new style of consensus politics, taking the ideas, wishes and worries of the electorate into account on a continual basis, rather than allowing them the 'privilege' of voting once every 5 years, and then totally ignoring them. He does not see politics purely as the preserve of the Oxbridge elite in their private Westminster bubble.

This obviously worries the establishment no end. They want the annoying little people kept in their place as usual.

Corbyn cannot win.

The media is against him. I've never seen such vitriol, never mind damned lies, ranged against one man. It doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do, what he says or doesn't say, it will be twisted and spun into the most grotesque misinterpretation imaginable.

I remember when the newspapers simply reported the news, not used lies to decide who we should support. I doubt anyone can survive such blatant and unrestrained misreporting.

It's a disgrace really.

I agree with your comments about the media. However, the reason they're coming out to attack him is because he CAN win.

Cameron didn't get a majority government because the majority of registered voters voted Tory.

Politics is changing. It's amazing what happens when you actually give people something to vote for......look at the rise of UKIP and the massive turnout in the Scottish referendum........and the land slide victory by Jeremy Corbyn ;)

Having seen the man in person, and actually heard what he has to say, I can assure you that what is being reported bears no relation to what actually came from the horses mouth.

It is a very carefully edited campaign to discredit every word he says, and woefully mislead the British public in what he is about.

He is a true believer in a new style of consensus politics, taking the ideas, wishes and worries of the electorate into account on a continual basis, rather than allowing them the 'privilege' of voting once every 5 years, and then totally ignoring them. He does not see politics purely as the preserve of the Oxbridge elite in their private Westminster bubble.

This obviously worries the establishment no end. They want the annoying little people kept in their place as usual.

But which lies are you thinking of?