I saw a strange thing on a lorry wheel..Yeah, me being random again!

Hmmmm...Quite possibly.....Would it be something to do with servicing the trailer at certain intervals? Do trailers have a sort of MOT?....Why Have I never seen anything like it before?...Not ever?

Trailers do have to have an mot and they get serviced very regularly

I was driving home last night, north on the M1 from Tinsley. As some of you may be aware, they are gearing up for roadworks and have average speed cameras set up with a 50mph speed limit. So there I am tootling along and a big lorry drew alongside matching my speed.

I happened to glance at one of the wheels (and it was just the one wheel) and in the centre of the hub there was some sort of, what I can only assume was a revolution counter, which was weighted at the bottom so it wasn't revolving with the wheel. It was a akin to an old style odometer on a car with analogue numbers, running to perhaps 8 digits.

Why?....Yes it was probably counting wheel revolutions, but I don't understand what the point would be. Measuring tyre wear perhaps? What's wrong with the mileometer?...Or am I missing something blatantly obvious (wouldn't be the first time).

I want some of what you're on pete! lol

Trailers do have to have an mot and they get serviced very regularly

I imagine they get serviced, but I wasn't aware there's an MOT for them...It makes sense of course, as they are not 'tied' to one particular Drivetrain...

I was driving home last night, north on the M1 from Tinsley. As some of you may be aware, they are gearing up for roadworks and have average speed cameras set up with a 50mph speed limit. So there I am tootling along and a big lorry drew alongside matching my speed.

I happened to glance at one of the wheels (and it was just the one wheel) and in the centre of the hub there was some sort of, what I can only assume was a revolution counter, which was weighted at the bottom so it wasn't revolving with the wheel. It was a akin to an old style odometer on a car with analogue numbers, running to perhaps 8 digits.

Why?....Yes it was probably counting wheel revolutions, but I don't understand what the point would be. Measuring tyre wear perhaps? What's wrong with the mileometer?...Or am I missing something blatantly obvious (wouldn't be the first time).

You can't use mileometer in a unit as a gauge as trailers can be hooked up to different units

I want some of what you're on pete! lol

At the moment it's PG Tips....Delightful ;)

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:38 ----------

You can't use mileometer in a unit as a gauge as trailers can be hooked up to different units

So why aren't they on every trailer?

I imagine they get serviced, but I wasn't aware there's an MOT for them...It makes sense of course, as they are not 'tied' to one particular Drivetrain...

If like me your sad? look on trailer and you will find what looks like a tax disc attached to trailer telling you when trailer mot is due .we have to check a trailer is within test before we take it anywhere

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:41 ----------

At the moment it's PG Tips....Delightful ;)

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:38 ----------

So why aren't they on every trailer?

I can't honestly say why they are. not on every trailer .it might have been an old trailer you saw

Any biscuit action going on there? I find hobnobs do the trick.

Sadly no hobnobs available.... :(

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:51 ----------

If like me your sad? look on trailer and you will find what looks like a tax disc attached to trailer telling you when trailer mot is due .we have to check a trailer is within test before we take it anywhere

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 10:41 ----------

I can't honestly say why they are. not on every trailer .it might have been an old trailer you saw

It definitely wasn't a new trailer....I wonder if there's another method of recording the mileage, as it seems to be a bit antiquated in this day and age.

I avoid buses at every level....I can't remember the last time I caught a bus, and I certainly give them a wide berth when driving.

I only really used to see them when I was cycling - you develop a fixation with bus and lorry wheels in case they turn towards you!

I only really used to see them when I was cycling - you develop a fixation with bus and lorry wheels in case they turn towards you!

But I don't understand why they aren't on every trailer?....Unless of course, some regimes of the trailer hire companies require the driver to report the mileage from pickup point to unhitching...I suppose that could work.