I saw a strange thing on a lorry wheel..Yeah, me being random again!

Maybe newer trailers have a more upto date system???

Like an electronic odometer, maybe the hire company collect the data wirelessly when the trailer comes in the yard so they can see the state of each trailer?

I was driving home last night, north on the M1 from Tinsley. As some of you may be aware, they are gearing up for roadworks and have average speed cameras set up with a 50mph speed limit. So there I am tootling along and a big lorry drew alongside matching my speed.

I happened to glance at one of the wheels (and it was just the one wheel) and in the centre of the hub there was some sort of, what I can only assume was a revolution counter, which was weighted at the bottom so it wasn't revolving with the wheel. It was a akin to an old style odometer on a car with analogue numbers, running to perhaps 8 digits.

Why?....Yes it was probably counting wheel revolutions, but I don't understand what the point would be. Measuring tyre wear perhaps? What's wrong with the mileometer?...Or am I missing something blatantly obvious (wouldn't be the first time).

Most of 'em are actually 'roadkill counters' Pete ... calibrated to accurately record any squishes from toads and tree penguins, right up to your full grown giraffe. They work on a points system ... frog being one point, whilst elks, elephants and giraffes score one hundred. At the end of the month, the lorry drivers get together and check out the scores ... the winner (most points) gets to have the underside of his trailer jet-washed at no charge. The losers get a bucket and sponge.

They can actually be re-calibrated to count the amount of illegal immigrants who've strapped themselves to the propshafts in order to enter the country.

Quite often the counters are ingeniously fitted with a microphone which counts the screams. Technology eh? :o

Like an electronic odometer, maybe the hire company collect the data wirelessly when the trailer comes in the yard so they can see the state of each trailer?

It maybe that now all trailers have to be serviced / checked every six weeks regardless of mileage covered so these counters are no longer needed so that's why you don't see them now

:huh:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find all this talk about trailers a bit of a drag? ;)

They've made a film about them....I've just watched the 'trailer' on youtube...:hihi:

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Most of 'em are actually 'roadkill counters' Pete ... calibrated to accurately record any squishes from toads and tree penguins, right up to your full grown giraffe. They work on a points system ... frog being one point, whilst elks, elephants and giraffes score one hundred. At the end of the month, the lorry drivers get together and check out the scores ... the winner (most points) gets to have the underside of his trailer jet-washed at no charge. The losers get a bucket and sponge.

They can actually be re-calibrated to count the amount of illegal immigrants who've strapped themselves to the propshafts in order to enter the country.

Quite often the counters are ingeniously fitted with a microphone which counts the screams. Technology eh? :o

Oh technology....it's wonderful, and one thing I can always rely on ...Is Alco to come up with an hilarious twist on the discussion....The trailer I saw must have been the champion this week, cos there were a hell of a lot of numbers on the readout....hahaha

Oh technology....it's wonderful, and one thing I can always rely on ...Is Alco to come up with an hilarious twist on the discussion....The trailer I saw must have been the champion this week, cos there were a hell of a lot of numbers on the readout....hahaha

:huh:

That probably explains why you don't see many tree penguins in Sheffield anymore. :(

They've made a film about them....I've just watched the 'trailer' on youtube...:hihi:

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Some of the more advanced ones count insect hits, like wasps, too. Was the counter anywhere near 10,000 by any chance?

I don't know then... :huh:

... maybe Mr Alco will have the answer? ;)

Migrating season perhaps?....Back to their homeland on't Cross?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 12:33 ----------

That's a thought...What with satnavs and stuff...I suppose it's easy done these days....Isn't this all guesswork?....Does anyone actually know?

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 12:36 ----------

Some of the more advanced ones count insect hits, like wasps, too. Was the counter anywhere near 10,000 by any chance?

I was well over 10,000 (by miles)....Would you like me to check my dashcam and get you the company name?