I saw a strange thing on a lorry wheel..Yeah, me being random again!

I don't know then... :huh:

... maybe Mr Alco will have the answer? ;)

Yeah ... the Hillsborough Tree Penguins are notorious for, as well as stealing tinned sardines from Morrison's, syphoning diesel from their delivery lorries and selling it off cheap to buy licorice allsorts.

Due to the complex structure of their sphincter like throats, the syphon tube can become enlodged in the esophagus at the most inopportune moments ... like when the lorry is setting off from Morrison's ... resulting in unwanted/uncalled for migratory patterns, much to the errant penguin's consternation.

By the time the lorry's got onto the M1, the penguins generally decease through either diesel inhalation/drowning, or (as is often the case) a 700-16 Duramould Vaculug 12ply radial truck tyre in a process known as 'flattening'.

At this point, the hub mounted counter of the lorry registers an extra '25'.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 12:53 ----------

Was it one of these lorries by any chance? :o

How the hell do you do this! ... that's the second time! :hihi:

Was it one of these lorries by any chance? :o

Naaaa...that's not a trailer....But I suspect one or two penguins (the tree type) did 'get it'.

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 13:09 ----------

Yeah ... the Hillsborough Tree Penguins are notorious for, as well as stealing tinned sardines from Morrison's, syphoning diesel from their delivery lorries and selling it off cheap to buy licorice allsorts.

Due to the complex structure of their sphincter like throats, the syphon tube can become enlodged in the esophagus at the most inopportune moments ... like when the lorry is setting off from Morrison's ... resulting in unwanted/uncalled for migratory patterns, much to the errant penguin's consternation.

By the time the lorry's got onto the M1, the penguins generally decease through either diesel inhalation/drowning, or (as is often the case) a 700-16 Duramould Vaculug 12ply radial truck tyre in a process known as 'flattening'.

At this point, the hub mounted counter of the lorry registers an extra '25'.

You're quite an authority on these pesky little creatures aren't you? :cool:

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 13:20 ----------

I looked it up on Wikipedia and it says.........

Typical uses[edit]

They are needed on semi-trailers where they are the only means of measuring distance traveled over the lifetime of a tire or the trailer.

They are used on bus or truck or trailer wheels where the tires are supplied to the vehicle operator by an independent company on a contract of "price per thousand kilometers". The hubometer is installed by the tire company to give them their own measure.

So it seems it's a bit more to do with tyres than the trailers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubometer

But I don't understand why they aren't on every trailer?....Unless of course, some regimes of the trailer hire companies require the driver to report the mileage from pickup point to unhitching...I suppose that could work.

I've no idea either...

They are not required - so perhaps they service trailers on a time basis rather than distance, or perhaps they are usually coupled to the same tractor unit so can use the tractors odo, dunno really. I don't run a lorry fleet so I've no real idea...

Naaaa...that's not a trailer....But I suspect one or two penguins (the tree type) did 'get it'.

You're quite an authority on these pesky little creatures aren't you? :cool:

Yes .......................

It maybe that now all trailers have to be serviced / checked every six weeks regardless of mileage covered so these counters are no longer needed so that's why you don't see them now

ah thats a better explanation.

It maybe that now all trailers have to be serviced / checked every six weeks regardless of mileage covered so these counters are no longer needed so that's why you don't see them now

ah thats a better explanation.

Ah...But I did see 'one'...Yesterday!..... An antique maybe?

or might it be as the wikipedia article intimates, something to do with (in this case) fitted by the tyre company....On a pay per Km basis.

Edited by PeteMorris