Accident and the correct training

I recently drove past a bad accident, which involved a car, motor cycle and a double decker bus, it was on a 50mph road.

The bus was in a field, on all four wheels, but there was a ditch. It hadnt gone very far, but it was lucky not to be on its side.

I was surprised that a bus would leave the road, what would the driver be trained to do in such accidents?

Switch off ignition, call emergency services (or radio base and get them to do it) turn off the fuel and disconnect the battery isolator.

Most buses have a handle under the engine cover you can see markings on teh back that read "Emergency Engine/fuel cut off under hood" and an arrow.

Then it depends what their first aid training is like, if they have any. The priority is personal safety, then making the scene safe (post bystanders to warn traffic - warning triangles etc) and then attend to the casualties as appropriate. If a casualty is screaming, leave them and look for unconcious ones first...

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 11:28 ----------

If he'd had a blow out on one of his front tyres the driver wouldn't have much of say on what direction the bus went.

It's surprisingly difficult to roll a double decker - if it's a choice between aiming for a hedge and field, or head on into a car I'd pick the former every time.

Switch off ignition, call emergency services (or radio base and get them to do it) turn off the fuel and disconnect the battery isolator.

Most buses have a handle under the engine cover you can see markings on teh back that read "Emergency Engine/fuel cut off under hood" and an arrow.

Then it depends what their first aid training is like, if they have any. The priority is personal safety, then making the scene safe (post bystanders to warn traffic - warning triangles etc) and then attend to the casualties as appropriate. If a casualty is screaming, leave them and look for unconcious ones first...

---------- Post added 15-05-2015 at 11:28 ----------

It's surprisingly difficult to roll a double decker - if it's a choice between aiming for a hedge and field, or head on into a car I'd pick the former every time.

The bold is a terrible bit of triage advice that should not be spread. It might apply in a warzone, but not in an accident such as described here.

Leave the triage to the professionals - first priority has to be to alert emergency services, any secondary thought should go to comforting the passengers that are conscious UNLESS the driver is fully trained in first aid and can identify where to intervene and where not.

As the son of a paramedic who arrived at a large accident scene to find that someone had tried to put someone in a stable position, someone with a crushed pelvis and very likely at threat of a suffered spinal cord, I can't stress that enough.

The bold is a terrible bit of triage advice that should not be spread. It might apply in a warzone, but not in an accident such as described here.

Leave the triage to the professionals - first priority has to be to alert emergency services, any secondary thought should go to comforting the passengers that are conscious UNLESS the driver is fully trained in first aid and can identify where to intervene and where not.

As the son of a paramedic who arrived at a large accident scene to find that someone had tried to put someone in a stable position, someone with a crushed pelvis and very likely at threat of a suffered spinal cord, I can't stress that enough.

I would also tend to those who are unconscious first .at least if someone is screaming you know they are breathing where's with those who are not screaming might not be breathing