Bariatric surgery

Weight loss surgery has been suggested to me by health professional's due to diabetes and high blood pressure.

Seems drastic !!!! Suggested I seriously consider this

Anyone been through the surgery or considered it?

Be grateful for advice, information or your experience

Thanks

Another thing to add into your consideration is that the complication rate from weight loss surgery is really very high, and the failure rate is really high too.

I know quite a few people who have had various forms of surgery done and one now weighs more than she did before the surgery, due to the failure of the hardware implanted. She also nearly died due to an infection caused by surgery to attempt to remove the hardware. The others have all managed to lose weight, but not as much as they were expecting, and the weight loss slowed right down after the initial drop after surgery, making it almost as hard to lose the weight afterwards as it was before.

If I was told that I had to consider such surgery I would consider a gastric bypass but not a gastric band, sleeve or balloon, but in actual fact I'd want an awful lot of convincing that the surgery was a good move either way round.

Weight loss surgery has been suggested to me by health professional's due to diabetes and high blood pressure.

Seems drastic !!!! Suggested I seriously consider this

Anyone been through the surgery or considered it?

Be grateful for advice, information or your experience

Thanks

Maybe I can help a little.

Started my journey at close to 24 stones. Had a gastric sleeve November the 17th last year. In on the Monday morning, sat at home Tuesday just after dinner time supping coffee and watching the telly. Laporoscopic surgery is simply out of this world, 6 tiny cuts, a couple of stitches in each.

My blood sugar has dropped dramatically, my cholesterol is fine now, half of what it used to be, blood pressure the same under control now and a very important side effect, my well being - my depression has gone.

Forgot to say, weight is as of to-day 15 stone 10 pounds, not a bad result from November the 17th. At 65, it's probably the best thing I have ever done.

I know my surgery has gone brilliantly and perhaps not every case will have the exact same result, but I would say to any one considering weight loss surgery, do it, the results can be life saving.

Any one wanting a little more info, please pm me and I will be glad to assist in any way I can.

I will finish by saying, the weight loss surgery is not a magic tool, if you are determined to over eat, blend mars bars into a liquid and generally abuse your doctors advice, no doubt in my mind that your weight loss would be minimal. You do have to want to lose weight, and change your eating habits for the rest of your life. Sheffield is a great place for this kind of operation, from the Lady that brings your cup of tea, right through to the Surgeon who does your op, they are all great people, who will do their best to look after you.

On a personal note, I owe them a great deal, they have probably given me many more years of life.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

I have two aunts on my side and a cousin on my wife's side who all three have had a gastric band fitted, the two aunts in the Netherlands, one in 2003 and the other in 2006 - both have ups and downs still, but in general weigh 40-50% less than they did. My wife's cousin lost 30 kg in 9 months since having it done, still has some 20 kg to go to reach a reasonable weight though.

I considered it, I weigh too much, but it isn't the right time for me yet, first I want to quit smoking (for good, I am close, week 4 now, but been here before and fallen back!) and get a good job now my PhD is nearly finished and then I will think about it again.

Maybe I can help a little.

Started my journey at close to 24 stones. Had a gastric sleeve November the 17th last year. In on the Monday morning, sat at home Tuesday just after dinner time supping coffee and watching the telly. Laporoscopic surgery is simply out of this world, 6 tiny cuts, a couple of stitches in each.

My blood sugar has dropped dramatically, my cholesterol is fine now, half of what it used to be, blood pressure the same under control now and a very important side effect, my well being - my depression has gone.

Forgot to say, weight is as of to-day 15 stone 10 pounds, not a bad result from November the 17th. At 65, it's probably the best thing I have ever done.

I know my surgery has gone brilliantly and perhaps not every case will have the exact same result, but I would say to any one considering weight loss surgery, do it, the results can be life saving.

Any one wanting a little more info, please pm me and I will be glad to assist in any way I can.

I will finish by saying, the weight loss surgery is not a magic tool, if you are determined to over eat, blend mars bars into a liquid and generally abuse your doctors advice, no doubt in my mind that your weight loss would be minimal. You do have to want to lose weight, and change your eating habits for the rest of your life. Sheffield is a great place for this kind of operation, from the Lady that brings your cup of tea, right through to the Surgeon who does your op, they are all great people, who will do their best to look after you.

On a personal note, I owe them a great deal, they have probably given me many more years of life.

Angel1.

This is a great write up.

My wife had a band and had to have it adjusted more times than I can remember.

Around 4 years ago she went for a sleeve.

You really do have to control yourself still, mentioned above 100%.