Protests today in Sheffield (16-05-2015)

I know its reet hard for some people to understand why people protest so I got this from wikipedia:

A protest (also called a remonstrance, remonstration or demonstration) is an expression of bearing witness on behalf of an express cause by words or actions with regard to particular events, policies or situations. Protests can take many different forms, from individual statements to mass demonstrations. Protesters may organize a protest as a way of publicly making their opinions heard in an attempt to influence public opinion or government policy, or they may undertake direct action in an attempt to directly enact desired changes themselves.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 14:51 ----------

In some countries you can't protest. Think ourselves lucky to be in such a free country.

But surely a democracy means that EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion and entitled to voice that opinion in any way they choose provided it's legal.

The demonstration was not illegal.

correct , they do ....................... Its called an Election. :)

I know its reet hard for some people to understand why people protest so I got this from wikipedia:

A protest (also called a remonstrance, remonstration or demonstration) is an expression of bearing witness on behalf of an express cause by words or actions with regard to particular events, policies or situations. Protests can take many different forms, from individual statements to mass demonstrations. Protesters may organize a protest as a way of publicly making their opinions heard in an attempt to influence public opinion or government policy, or they may undertake direct action in an attempt to directly enact desired changes themselves.

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 14:51 ----------

In some countries you can't protest. Think ourselves lucky to be in such a free country.

I'm in no way saying they shouldn't be allowed to protest I'm just angry with their reason. We have had a democratic election where the Tories won. Yet they are protesting about the result. As if the electorate dared vote the Tories in so they will bring the place to a standstill. It's just sour grapes.

Sorry to spoil it for you but I wasn't there. Seeing as you detest these people I find it odd that you didn't tell your tale a bit sooner. You were on here on Saturday and yesterday but never mentioned it. If a group of people I disliked intensely made me miss a train and put me sixty quid out of pocket I'd be on here pronto with all guns blazing!

I don't detest anyone. I fully support the right to protest as it happens, but not in a way that causes disruption to the people who it isn't aimed at.

I did tell my tale sooner too, but the thread was deleted as confirmed at the beginning of this thread, and I still don't detest them.

Sorry to disappoint you. You can wipe the spittle from your mouth now. :)

The public havent spoken. 75% of just over 60% didnt want this govt.

85% of the pop...hardly democratic. The current system is a disgrace

I'm sorry to disappoint you ubermaus but this is completely wrong and I'm shocked you believe it.

Those who did not vote for the Cons cannot be considered as voting against them. All you can say is they didn't vote for them in a single vote / one preferred candidate system.

The ONLY conclusion you can make from the results is the largest number of people who voted in the election wanted this government and that is how our democracy and other voting works in the UK.

I'm sorry to disappoint you ubermaus but this is completely wrong and I'm shocked you believe it.

Those who did not vote for the Cons cannot be considered as voting against them. All you can say is they didn't vote for them in a single vote / one preferred candidate system.

The ONLY conclusion you can make from the results is the largest number of people who voted in the election wanted this government and that is how our democracy and other voting works in the UK.

It's a fact, projecting forward, the cons only got 36% of the vote of the turnout....so about 20% of the pop.

So we can safely deduce from the vote numbers the VAST majority of the population did not want a conservative government. And there are protests because the VAST majority of people reject the conservative ideology - sorry pal but if you back conservative youre in a minority.