Dartford crossing,rip off?

I recently had to use the Dartford crossing, and now, they have done away with the usual toll gates and introduced automatic number plate recognition as a method of paying. To do this you can pay £2-50 into a pay zone outlet or you can set up an account with the Dart charge company with a minimum payment of £10-00.This way it only costs you £1-67 each way. Here is the rub, after 6 crossings the total cost is £10-02.I have been informed by the Dart crossing company that he did not thing a pay zone outlet would accept such a small amount so I would have to deposit another £10-00 with them or face a fine if I did not pay the 2 pence within 24 hours. Also the monies deposited only last for a year and after that, the account is closed and any money in the account goes to them. How on earth they come to the sum of £1-67 for the crossing is beyond me unless it is done solely to extract more money from the motorist.

Offer them the 2p by phone, online, send them a cheque, that is all you owe and if they refuse to take it I doubt they would then be able to fine you for none payment.

Why on earth they don't just have 6 crossings for £10 is beyond me.

I seem to remember that the original agreement for those toll booths was that they were only to be present until the crossing was paid for.

Guess what. They paid for it years ago and the Government allowed them to keep the booths as it was such a money spinner.

I think it's a good system I pay it on my tablet if I know that I am going down that way you can also pay it online after within 24 hours,I went over the bridge on my way to Sheerness the other day and the queues were minimal compared to in the past when you had to hand your cash over.the congestion charge in London is one big rip off that annoys me more.sometimes if I'm going down that part of the country and I'm not in a rush I like to take the woolwich ferry.

if you can suggest a different route that does not add time or mileage,please do.

There isn't. They have built a crossing that cuts mileage and time. If you want to use it then you have to pay by their rules.

If you don't like it - go a different way round? Easy

Depending upon where you joined the M25 you may be adding 120 miles to your journey and the section near Heathrow is the most congested section of motorway in Europe. I would personally favour paying the toll than use that section.

I sometimes used to use the Blackwall tunnel instead to cross the river. This is free, but depending upon the time of the day it can take a very long time to get through. And I would not really recommend this unless you are familiar with the route.

If you are one of these crap drivers who rely on a Sat Nav device then forget it.

There isn't. They have built a crossing that cuts mileage and time. If you want to use it then you have to pay by their rules.

So why make the foolish comment of go another way?

---------- Post added 17-05-2015 at 12:05 ----------

Offer them the 2p by phone, online, send them a cheque, that is all you owe and if they refuse to take it I doubt they would then be able to fine you for none payment.

Why on earth they don't just have 6 crossings for £10 is beyond me.

Apparently if you have an account the minimum you can pay is £10-00.