Expectations For Next Season..

top4718

I would be expecting Wednesday to be challenging for promotion to the Premiership next season,backed by big money from new owners splashing cash........a deadline has been set for promotion anyway ........looks like some are prepared to accept more mid table mediocrity and escaping relegation.

---------- Post added 17-05-2015 at 16:04 ----------

Obviously new signings (and potentially new managers at both clubs) could make a huge difference (positively or negatively), but assuming both managers start the new season...

United: I think League One should be at it's weakest overall for some time next season, with imploding Blackpool, a poor Wigan outfit and Millwall coming down. Glad to see the back of Yeovil in a downwards direction too! :) So with some decent signings and a more positive approach, top 6 is a bare minimum, and we should really be in serious contention with the likes of Preston or Swindon, Chezzy, Bradford, Peterborough for the automatic spots. And maybe next season, just don't put everything into both cups...

Owls: With the potential funds available (and building on 13th place without a decent striker), Anything other than top 6 should be seen as a little disappointing. If Bournemouth and Watford can do it, then the owls certainly should be capable, especially now the pitch can't be used as an excuse.

:thumbsup:

That Owls prediction is spot on.....couldn't have put it better myself.

I would be expecting Wednesday to be challenging for promotion to the Premiership next season,backed by big money from new owners splashing cash........a deadline has been set for promotion anyway ........looks like some are prepared to accept more mid table mediocrity and escaping relegation.

---------- Post added 17-05-2015 at 16:04 ----------

:thumbsup:

That Owls prediction is spot on.....couldn't have put it better myself.

Any prediction on united.:)

Really simple. Both need to have a level of ambition that matches the positive bank balance. There is no valid reason for Wednesday not to be looking at delivering promotion for the fans considering the level of investment that the board speaks of and this equally applies to us as our board constantly reminds us of the level of investment made by our owners.

I don't know why we hide behind the excuses or own owners and excuses as fans. Like with United this season, we should have been challenging automatic and we flopped at that chance with poor tactical decisions and substandard performances. We then weren't defensively sound enough to see off Swindon. It is as simple as that and needs addressing. As for Sheffield Wednesday let's put it into perspective the 5 year plan is a load of rubbish and as a fan I wouldn't be happy to be sat shelling out four years worth of ticket prices for mid table mediocrity? If the man promises investment then you expect to see it asap and equally expect to see your team win.

Both teams should be targeting promotion is the be and end all. In a better financial state that a good few of our competitors. Anything less should be seen as a failure.

Now don't you worry yourself about that,I don't think I'm under contract on here,it's Sheffield football........remember?:heyhey:

No I wont worry about it at all,just find it a bit odd you comment on Wednesday but no mention on your own team.

No I wont worry about it at all,just find it a bit odd you comment on Wednesday but no mention on your own team.
Reckon most last season said this season was a must so probally don't want to have egg on faces again.

]Bit of bullying going on here moderators [/b]or what? Is the member in question not allowed to exercise his freedom to discuss whatever he wishes to within forum rules without other members pulling him to pieces?

Are you being serious:confused:

Expectations for the Blades next season............we all know what they are,so it's best to talk more about how they can happen.

Nigel I think,wants to be the Mourinho of L!..........win 1-0,it doesn't matter about entertainment,that is secondary,the result is what matters...........so people can call watching us boring all they like,I don't think that Nigel will care..........if he gets the result.

Problem is,he hasn't got the right players or team to do what he wants,you can't set up to win games 1-0 if you don't have players who can defend a lead,and that doesn't just mean defenders,you defend from the front,work and press from the centre forward back..........if he can't find the players who are willing to do this,or can't drill it into the players we have, the next best thing is 2 centre halfs who will just head balls out of area,put a foot through the ball into row Z,throw bodies in front of shots around the edge of the area,and just do what good defenders should do..............Maybe Nigel will get more of the 1-0 wins he likes.

A few more points I think we seriously need to be looking at:

Our loan player recruits..........I think all our rivals got a lot more out of their loans than we did,some of them were the key player/players for those teams that got promoted or finished above us,so not using the loan system to our benefit and identifying key players who are available from PL/Championship is backfiring on us,not only are others getting more for their money,we are getting less............swing that around and it's worth quite a few points.

Defending against and scoring from dead balls..........this must be sorted,the amount of goals we concede from set pieces is alarming,not only that,our set pieces are not being used to full effect and resulting in goals.............another equation that was against us last season and cost us goals and points..........swing those around to work for us and not against us will result in a lot more points on the board

Just addressing these 2 points could get us maybe 20/25 points more than we got this season.

Lastly,Nigel himself...........managers need to know the players that are suitable for what they are trying to achieve,it's like fitting a jigsaw together,you are looking for pieces that fit to make up the full picture,that last piece in the jigsaw,and so on...........Nigels recruitment has to be clearer and sharper,the picture he has needs to be absolutely clear,and the players who are going to fit that picture have to be precisely identified.

Last season,Nigel gave an impression like he had tipped all his jigsaw out of the box and not looked at his picture on the front of it,but went ahead anyway and tried to find pieces that fitted together,he never got near to finishing it in 46 games,and couldn't even do it in 2 more.

First of all he needs to cut down on the pieces,select a smaller jigsaw that is easier to assemble,but still looks good on the box,get most of it ready for the start of the season,and then go looking for the missing bits as the season goes on.

There is still the question to be answered of whether Nigels vision of that completed jigsaw is the suitable one that gets us out of L1..................Ultimately,he stands or falls on whether he has got that right or not..........on this seasons showing it's not clear if he had all the right pieces but could not put them together,if he threw some away that ultimately he found out he needed,or he never had the pieces he needed at all.

---------- Post added 17-05-2015 at 18:25 ----------

I don't find it odd at all.