Ex pat off Manor

• 2 years later...
Hello everyone (I hope), I left the Manor in the mid sixties,Iwould never go back to Sheff now, although Idid miss it in the early days. Looking at all the threads and posts, that I have it seems that everybody is of the same mind.Real Sheffielders will always love it, but most agree that it has gone down hill. From what I have seen in the media it is slowly picking up again,Come on Sheffield get your finger out,bye the way I will always be a Sheffielder. ps Iam trying to find out what happened to my cousins,we all lost touch after the sixties,they are the Glaves family, there are hundreds of them according to census returns.:help: Specifically George and Rosie Glaves family from Shiregreen,Daffodil rd

We lived with my in laws above the chip shop on Fairleigh/Wulfric Road when it was Hagues I used to put my son outside in the pram, in between the chip shop and the betting shop on the main road with buses/cars coming past, men used to come in the shop at night and tell me that they had been talking to my son. When I think about it now, it was a time when you could leave your child outside. I thought he was getting fresh air, how naive I was. Something you would not even think about now. I was brought up at Shiregreen, when I look at that website no one talks good of it but on the Manor site there are so many good things.

I used to live at number 92, left off POWR going down, is that part still standing?

Yes, It's still standing.

They knocked the top part of POW down, on the Odds side, as far as no 43/45, (to FitzHubert Rd) and built new on it in 1994. They had to demolish a lot of properties due to "black mortar", which made the houses unstable, and unviable to repair.

The houses on the evens side weren't boot-houses, so they were ok, and were not demolished until just by Harborough ave/Paulet rd (around the 250-somethings)but the boot-houses, behind prince, by St theresas and Prince edward school were demolished recently.

If you google earth or multimap the road, you'll see where the new housing was built.

Archived