Should the UK be a Christian country?

Which hospitals do you think are currently closed at the weekend? :suspect:

:huh:

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:15 ----------

Which is ridiculous. Things that can be scheduled are not scheduled, but everything else just carries on. You can't ask people to go home from a ward for the weekend, they still have admissions, they still get diagnosed, they still get meds and anything that can't wait doesn't wait.

I don't know what your point is. I'm not suggesting people go home at weekends. I'm suggesting there is no planned operations (which is what I think the Tories are driving at). I've found that stuff has had to wait because a consultant had gone home for the weekend. Not in every department I'll grant you but based on my own experiences it has happened - although I'd suggest it shouldn't have.

But you've kind of agreed with me. Anything that can wait will wait, simply because it's a weekend.

That might be what the tories are getting at, but it isn't the implication of the posts I quoted.

Why shouldn't it happen? You don't think consultants should be allowed to go home?

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:26 ----------

The OP quite clearly thinks that it means 7 days of work every week for NHS staff...

That might be what the tories are getting at, but it isn't the implication of the posts I quoted.

Why shouldn't it happen? You don't think consultants should be allowed to go home?

---------- Post added 18-05-2015 at 22:26 ----------

The OP quite clearly thinks that it means 7 days of work every week for NHS staff...

Nobody should work 7 days a week (I do but it shouldn't be a requirement!) but is it beyond the realms of posibility to organise so more can get done over weekends?

Nobody should work 7 days a week (I do but it shouldn't be a requirement!) but is it beyond the realms of posibility to organise so more can get done over weekends?

It's not difficult to organise if you're willing to spend the money on more staff and running costs, the difficulty arrises where you want to do it on the cheap.

It's not difficult to organise if you're willing to spend the money on more staff and running costs, the difficulty arrises where you want to do it on the cheap.

By "spend money on more staff and running costs" do overtime with a capital O and astronomic weekend pay rates? I know the Nhs allow themselves to get hamstrung paying agencies massive amounts for bank nurses (a national disgrace in itself) but I'm sure with some sort of joined up thinking (ha!) it's feasable. Industry does it - has done since forever. I'm not suggesting that treating a someone with a heart attack or doing a knee replacement is the same as putting a nissan micra together but (as has been very clearly pointed out) the place is open and running to a certain degree, why not get it running more efficiently?

As I said before, it's a tory idea so naturally the unions will oppose it but they are leaning on GPs to open more (which in turn should release some pressure on A&E) and there's even talk of some joined up thinking with social services (like there used to be before the Tories split it up - there are no new ideas in politics!)

By "spend money on more staff and running costs" do overtime with a capital O and astronomic weekend pay rates? I know the Nhs allow themselves to get hamstrung paying agencies massive amounts for bank nurses (a national disgrace in itself) but I'm sure with some sort of joined up thinking (ha!) it's feasable. Industry does it - has done since forever. I'm not suggesting that treating a someone with a heart attack or doing a knee replacement is the same as putting a nissan micra together but (as has been very clearly pointed out) the place is open and running to a certain degree, why not get it running more efficiently?

As I said before, it's a tory idea so naturally the unions will oppose it but they are leaning on GPs to open more (which in turn should release some pressure on A&E) and there's even talk of some joined up thinking with social services (like there used to be before the Tories split it up - there are no new ideas in politics!)

No, by staff and running costs, I mean you will need more staff of all grades. If all the staff are needed during the week, then none would be free to work the weekend. You can cover some planned work by overtime, but certainly not all the work and not for good, so more staff will need to be hired.

Then there is the running costs like the electricity of all the equipment/lighting/heating/air condition etc for example, and all the consumables.

There is also an added maintenance cost, if you run your equipment harder it will need more repair/replacing earlier.

No, by staff and running costs, I mean you will need more staff of all grades. If all the staff are needed during the week, then none would be free to work the weekend. You can cover some planned work by overtime, but certainly not all the work and not for good, so more staff will need to be hired.

Then there is the running costs like the electricity of all the equipment/lighting/heating/air condition etc for example, and all the consumables.

There is also an added maintenance cost, if you run your equipment harder it will need more repair/replacing earlier.

So leave things as they are?

Possibly because it's s bit of a pointless question on the face of it. People have worked Sunday's for years, Cameron's wanting to push parts on the public sector into the mix. Is it a problem? Potentially. Is it anything to do with religion? Nope!

So leave things as they are?

I'm not saying that, it's as I said earlier: It's not difficult to organise if you're willing to spend the money on more staff and running costs, the difficulty arrises where you want to do it on the cheap.