The death knell of Sheffield city centre.

I have Vegas1, and I know exactly what you mean. People seem to think Sheffield is it's own little bubble that doesn't have the same issues as everywhere else.

I had to drive into Cambridge a few years ago. Almost put my fist through the windscreen as it proved impossible.

Birmingham gave me a headache, Leeds annoys me. Dont get me started on London.

Just seen the news on Look North. The council in their amazing and farsighted wisdom have decided to spend a lot of taxpayers' money on regenerating the city centre.

Turns out they want to further pedestrianise vast areas and make it more difficult for people to access shops and visit the city.

Bright sparks as ever.

Here are the proposals; http://www.sheffieldretailquarter.com/the-proposals

All you can moan about is taxpayers money and pedestrianisation. No wonder there are no Tory councillors in Sheffield.

No moaning from these quarters, I think they should just get on with it all ASAP

No no, its all me me me me, they should let cars have free reign in Sheffield, and hey lets go mad and reinstate the Hole In The Road as well.

Oh, and lets rename John Lewis "Cole Brothers" whilst we are at it, whilst we are being nostalgic. And demolish the Peace Gardens to reinstate that awful Council building that once stood there, we need to get back to the 1970's goddammit!!!!

I don't know the details, is it Pinstone Street? That seemed to be what they were saying on the short extract I heard on radio Sheffield. If it is, I don't know what they will do with the buses.

Toby hit the nail on the head, IMO, when he said that Sheffield is OK for car drivers, words to the effect of "I just park in the Q park and I'm in the city centre".

The buses can go via Arundel Gate or West Street.

Pinstone Street is only really used for buses and queuing to get into John Lewis car park, it's hardly a major thoroughfare and if pedestrianisation is what it takes to get shops back into the city centre so be it.

So can someone please explain how pedestrianising a road only really used by buses and taxis will put cars off? I'm stumped.

The only way cars can legally access Pinstone Street is by going up Norfolk Street and then turning right past the town hall, hardly a major throughfare.

Edited by Vegas1

How is Sheffield anti-car? When I need to go to town I drive and find one of the many hundreds of spaces to leave my car. I then walk around without having to worry about being hit by speeding cars trying to get from one side of the city to another.

Shops and city centres are for people not cars.

No no, its all me me me me, they should let cars have free reign in Sheffield, and hey lets go mad and reinstate the Hole In The Road as well.

Oh, and lets rename John Lewis "Cole Brothers" whilst we are at it, whilst we are being nostalgic. And demolish the Peace Gardens to reinstate that awful Council building that once stood there, we need to get back to the 1970's goddammit!!!!

Dont knock the 70s, that was the time when Sheffield had a livelier night economy than anywhere else in the north, left Manchester standing. I once counted 75 buses, all from as far away as Sunderland and Birmingham parked on Arundel Gate and whose passengers were in the city spending.