The death knell of Sheffield city centre.

New city centre homes.

Centrally located offices.

Strong links with existing vibrant shopping areas such as Division Street, The Moor and surrounding areas.

New and attractive public spaces like those that already enhance our city centre.

Because there's a shortage of office space and cheap flats in the city centre...

Linking the shopping areas seems reasonable, and attractive public spaces as well. But there is no need for more flats or offices, the demand isn't there.

Think there would be demand for relevant, bespoke office space, rather than those who throw up offices and then hope someone comes along to fill it (like the one bang opposite the Crown Court which has been empty since it was built five years ago, and the one opposite the Tesco Extra which has one floor occupied and that was only quite recently)

Is that a department store replacing Henry's/The Corner House and the new pub next door?

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 10:22 ----------

Think there would be demand for relevant, bespoke office space, rather than those who throw up offices and then hope someone comes along to fill it (like the one bang opposite the Crown Court which has been empty since it was built five years ago, and the one opposite the Tesco Extra which has one floor occupied and that was only quite recently)

And the huge one just down from the city hall tram stop? And the velocity buildings where Plusnet used to be? And probably a lot more that we're not aware of.

The buses can go via Arundel Gate or West Street.

Pinstone Street is only really used for buses and queuing to get into John Lewis car park, it's hardly a major thoroughfare and if pedestrianisation is what it takes to get shops back into the city centre so be it.

I'd do a compromise with the Council. If they reopen Furnival Gate in both directions then I'll have no use of the Cambridge St/Charles St triangle to get back onto Arundel Gate so they can pedestrianise at their leisure!

It's all about what works best for me right? :hihi:

There is new housing being built in the city centre all the time, the old "BT Tower" is being converted into student flats and there is a great deal of work going on in Kelham Island not forgetting Park Hill. Very few of the existing buildings are sitting empty, when compared to retail, city centre living is very much in demand.

Is that a department store replacing Henry's/The Corner House and the new pub next door?

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 10:22 ----------

And the huge one just down from the city hall tram stop? And the velocity buildings where Plusnet used to be? And probably a lot more that we're not aware of.

Companies much prefer office space built to their own spec.

Does anybody think the Moor would be anything but one big, dreadful traffic jam if it was still open to motor vehicles?

It might have been OK in the 70's, and I can just about remember walking up there when it was still a road, but with the volume of cars on today's roads, it would not be workable.

As others have said, when I go into town, I park in Q park or Coles, it's not at all difficult, and is no different to any other city, interms of ease of access and parking charges.

I don't quite understand why they've rotated the map 45 degree's off North. It's very difficult to compare what is proposed with what exists now.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 10:36 ----------

There is new housing being built in the city centre all the time, the old "BT Tower" is being converted into student flats and there is a great deal of work going on in Kelham Island not forgetting Park Hill. Very few of the existing buildings are sitting empty, when compared to retail, city centre living is very much in demand.

Isn't there supposed to be a glut of city centre flats that can't be sold?

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 10:37 ----------

Companies much prefer office space built to their own spec.

That's not going to be what happens though is it? It sounds like they'll build offices and then see who they can let them too. And given the plenty of office space to let at the moment it doesn't sound necessary.

No no, its all me me me me, they should let cars have free reign in Sheffield, and hey lets go mad and reinstate the Hole In The Road as well.

Oh, and lets rename John Lewis "Cole Brothers" whilst we are at it, whilst we are being nostalgic. And demolish the Peace Gardens to reinstate that awful Council building that once stood there, we need to get back to the 1970's goddammit!!!!

Don't forget Redgates .