The death knell of Sheffield city centre.

Just seen the news on Look North. The council in their amazing and farsighted wisdom have decided to spend a lot of taxpayers' money on regenerating the city centre.

Turns out they want to further pedestrianise vast areas and make it more difficult for people to access shops and visit the city.

Bright sparks as ever.

How can pedestrianising areas of the city centre make it more difficult to access shops exactly ? Quite the reverse will happen surely :confused:

Death knell ? More like CPR !

That's not going to be what happens though is it? It sounds like they'll build offices and then see who they can let them too. And given the plenty of office space to let at the moment it doesn't sound necessary.

Unless they have tenants lined up for this new office space. If not, then yes, it will just be generic office space they will probably struggle to shift.

Because there's a shortage of office space and cheap flats in the city centre...

Linking the shopping areas seems reasonable, and attractive public spaces as well. But there is no need for more flats or offices, the demand isn't there.

For students there is increasing demand for city centre flats..maybe not for professionals. They cant get rid of the over priced office space and flats now.

Isn't there supposed to be a glut of city centre flats that can't be sold?

Where?

There's tons of housing in development:

Little Kelham

Park Hill

BT Tower

Manor Mill (Eccy Road)

New Era Square (Bramall Lane)

and apparently now this the retail quarter

Unless they have tenants lined up for this new office space. If not, then yes, it will just be generic office space they will probably struggle to shift.

Agreed.

As a business unless you really need a city centre location, it doesnt make much sense.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 11:01 ----------

Where?

Little Kelham

Park Hill

BT Tower

Manor Mill (Eccy Road)

Students take a lot of these so called exec flats...

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 11:02 ----------

Foreign students esp.

And foreign students will be paying full whack, along with paying full whack at both Universities for the courses, and pumping money into the Sheffield economy, creating jobs...

Hardly a bad thing unless you are a bit xenophobic.

No no, its all me me me me, they should let cars have free reign in Sheffield, and hey lets go mad and reinstate the Hole In The Road as well.

Oh, and lets rename John Lewis "Cole Brothers" whilst we are at it, whilst we are being nostalgic. And demolish the Peace Gardens to reinstate that awful Council building that once stood there, we need to get back to the 1970's goddammit!!!!

Or maybe go back to these days where almost everyone walked everywhere - not an obese person in sight.

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-tram-ride-through-the-city-of-sheffield-1902-1902/

Interesting journey if you have time to watch it down London Road and up the Moor to Pinstone Street and beyond.

Where?

Little Kelham

Park Hill

BT Tower

Manor Mill (Eccy Road)

Perhaps I'm out of date, when I google it I'm finding a lot of articles from 2008/2009

http://citywire.co.uk/money/flats-glut-becomes-urban-nightmare-for-some/a317404

Has the city centre flat market recovered then?

The fact that they're being built isn't really evidence that they're selling...

And foreign students will be paying full whack, along with paying full whack at both Universities for the courses, and pumping money into the Sheffield economy, creating jobs...

Hardly a bad thing unless you are a bit xenophobic.

They keep the city centre housing market going too...