The death knell of Sheffield city centre.

And foreign students will be paying full whack, along with paying full whack at both Universities for the courses, and pumping money into the Sheffield economy, creating jobs...

Hardly a bad thing unless you are a bit xenophobic.

Heard this on R4 this morning and I assume it's the same for Sheffield on a smaller scale but all the points apply:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32779507

And foreign students will be paying full whack, along with paying full whack at both Universities for the courses, and pumping money into the Sheffield economy, creating jobs...

Hardly a bad thing unless you are a bit xenophobic.

You guys may not necessarily like this, but if this is the limit of your ambitions for this city then we'll continue as we are. Aside from housing, I'd say the student contribution to the Sheffield economy is fairly limited. They'll be useful to the leisure sector and maybe some others. However if we really want to punch at our weight (4th/5th biggest city) we need some more heavyweight economic activity.

I love the advanced manufacturing park (outside the city centre I know), but we need other stuff like that. We need to attract more large digital firms, more large finance firms and more manufacturing; businesses that would trade globally and bring huge sums into the city to be shared around in employee salaries and expenditure and rates.

Sheffield became great through an amazing product that had a global reputation. Through this the city was brilliant in the past. It still is brilliant socially, but I believe it can be economically brilliant again. The city just needs to think bigger.

Humble opinion and all that.

Perhaps I'm out of date, when I google it I'm finding a lot of articles from 2008/2009

http://citywire.co.uk/money/flats-glut-becomes-urban-nightmare-for-some/a317404

Has the city centre flat market recovered then?

The fact that they're being built isn't really evidence that they're selling...

Yes that is well out of date.

Just who is building these offices and flats do you think? Do you honestly think it's the council? No - it's private investment companies who believe they see a gap in the market. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. But there is one thing that is for certain - if you don't have available living and working accomodation in the city that people actually want to move into, the city is never going to get back on it's feet.

Sometimes you have got to take a leap of faith and trust in your plans. Quote form Field of Dreams? 'If you build it they will come...'? Maybe best to let them get non with it and see...

I didn't say that I thought the council would be building them, so why would you think that?

Of course if the council put together a plan and can't find anyone who WANTS to build what they've planned, then it will never even start...

I didn't say that I thought the council would be building them, so why would you think that?

Of course if the council put together a plan and can't find anyone who WANTS to build what they've planned, then it will never even start...

Then why would people question why something is being built? As though the developers who are spending millions of pounds doing so haven't yet thought of how they will recoup their investment?

But I will acknowledge that not all of that is completely true. Some of the deveopment is backed by the European Fund and I understand had to get off the ground this year or risk losing it. So that's why you will probably see such a lot of stuff going up at the moment. We can only hope that the people DO come to fill it. And anyway...it's better than what was there isn't it?

You guys may not necessarily like this, but if this is the limit of your ambitions for this city then we'll continue as we are. Aside from housing, I'd say the student contribution to the Sheffield economy is fairly limited. They'll be useful to the leisure sector and maybe some others. However if we really want to punch at our weight (4th/5th biggest city) we need some more heavyweight economic activity.

I love the advanced manufacturing park (outside the city centre I know), but we need other stuff like that. We need to attract more large digital firms, more large finance firms and more manufacturing; businesses that would trade globally and bring huge sums into the city to be shared around in employee salaries and expenditure and rates.

Sheffield became great through an amazing product that had a global reputation. Through this the city was brilliant in the past. It still is brilliant socially, but I believe it can be economically brilliant again. The city just needs to think bigger.

I never said it was the limit of my ambitions, merely said that it doesnt matter who fills the flats, as long as they get filled.

Very difficult to compare with the existing layout on google maps though, since that is aligned correctly.

---------- Post added 19-05-2015 at 13:15 ----------

Then why would people question why something is being built? As though the developers who are spending millions of pounds doing so haven't yet thought of how they will recoup their investment?

It isn't being built. This is a council plan. They don't have any developers onboard AFAIK.

All agreed but that'll be a whole load easier to do if the city suburb housing markets aren't dominated by buy to let landlords trying to make easy money on student housing. All the sites I listed are also brownfield sites that have been vacant for some time and many are becoming dual use as well. The increase in student numbers and related city centre flats shows the strength of our universities some of the most innovative technology firms in the city are working in the Electric Works a former university project.