Cakes for all you bigots

As a business then why didn't they get the gay member of staff to bake the cake?

What makes you think that the gay member of staff supports gay marriage, they also might find the idea offensive.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:36 ----------

Then we're back to "No Blacks or Irish" in B&B windows.

Muslim only' rental advert

We found five such ads nearby. Our reporters discovered hundreds more across the UK, including signs for “Asian only” and “Polish only” tenants.

27th July 2014

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/391129/Fury-over-Muslim-only-rental-advert

Personalty I don't have an issue with such a sign, its nice to know that they don't want me in their premises, imagine eating in a restaurant that is forced to serve you, just think what they might do to your food. :gag:

Who knows, I'll guess we'll have to see if that happens and eventually goes to court.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:58 ----------

Then we're back to "No Blacks or Irish" in B&B windows.

How far back are you going ?

In reality how common was this ?

If the baker had to make a spurious excuse for not producing a cake with a slogan he preferred not to be associated with we are encouraging a nation of hypocrites and liars.

Edited by harvey19

The law in Northern Ireland is that same sex marriage is not legal. The required sign on the cake was "support gay marriage." It seems bizarre that a business is required to print a banner of support for something not recognised as legal.

But supporting the idea of gay marriage is not illegal.

How far back are you going ?

In reality how common was this ?

If the baker had to make a spurious excuse for not producing a cake with a slogan he preferred not to be associated with we are encouraging a nation of hypocrites and liars.

How far back, it was the 1960s according to some articles. To be fair 'No dogs' were also included.

Shows how as a society we've progressed to try to get equality for all, apart from the dogs

Edited by SnailyBoy

I wonder if they would have made the cake if a straight couple wanted the following printed on their cake:

'5 years loving together, partner'

Fornication would be against their Christian religious beliefs as well, no doubt.

I wonder if they would have made the cake if a straight couple wanted the following printed on their cake:

'5 years loving together, partner'

Fornication would be against their Christian religious beliefs as well, no doubt.

Probaby not - but if it said

"4 hours of fornication - lovely" they may not have done it

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 23:02 ----------

Or four minutes in many cases :hihi:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-32791239

Why do some people have to be dragged into the 21st century?

Now I have an issue with this. Yes they may be homophobes. And yes they are stupid for refusing to cater for an up and coming market. They are in the cake industry and now a new group of people (gay men and women) want to buy wedding cakes so why arnt they selling these cakes. Is their own religeos ethos stopping them from earning a tidy extra profit.

However at the same time we shouldnt go round telling people what they can and cannot sell. You cant force a business to make a product by law. Its ridiculous.

Its different to the hotelier who refused a gay couple. That was discrimination on the grounds of orientation. However these are not refusing to sell to gay couples. They are refusing to make cakes that reference gay marriage. They are just not supplying a particular product and no matter what our views are they should be free to do so. As we shouldnt go around telling businesses what products to make or sell.