Yaris question..

2004 1.0 VVT

Are these any good? I was set to get one for someone but have just been told they are crap and to get a fiesta instead.

Im struggling to find anything really bad about the Yaris but cant ignore what ive just been told because i know sod all about cars and their workings

So am i better off geting a fiesta or a yaris?

Thanks.

How long is a piece of string ? Some will always have negative opinion of a certain car and another will love it,just do the usual checks and inspections go on your gut feeling and don't be afraid to walk away there's a million cars out there.

2004 1.0 VVT

Are these any good? I was set to get one for someone but have just been told they are crap and to get a fiesta instead.

Im struggling to find anything really bad about the Yaris but cant ignore what ive just been told because i know sod all about cars and their workings

So am i better off geting a fiesta or a yaris?

Thanks.

Over the last 25 years I have bought 8 new cars .Six toyotas and two ford.All the cars were brand new .The two fords had to be returned on numerous occasions ,In just under three years one broke down 3 times and was towed in on both occasions .The other not as bad but from day one it leaked water in to such a degree that my wives feet and shoes were soaking if you went through a puddle.Ford had half a dozen attempts to cure the leak but failed.It was still leaking nearly three years later when I bought a toyota.Had six Toyotas since and the only thing I have spent on all of them is three quid on a stop and tail light bulb.You decide which one I would recommend.

I've had an Aygo (slightly smaller than a Yaris) for the past 3-4 years which I believe has the similar 1.0 VVTi engine. I haven't even had to splash out for a light bulb yet! :hihi:

Definitely recommend Toyota over Ford any day, have had different models of both in the past and overall the Toyota's were always the ones that never let me down. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bottletop

Over the last 25 years I have bought 8 new cars .Six toyotas and two ford.All the cars were brand new .The two fords had to be returned on numerous occasions ,In just under three years one broke down 3 times and was towed in on both occasions .The other not as bad but from day one it leaked water in to such a degree that my wives feet and shoes were soaking if you went through a puddle.Ford had half a dozen attempts to cure the leak but failed.It was still leaking nearly three years later when I bought a toyota.Had six Toyotas since and the only thing I have spent on all of them is three quid on a stop and tail light bulb.You decide which one I would recommend.

But I've driven two Fords to over 300k miles without problems...

Anecdotes are interesting but not really a basis for evidence. You want something like the JD power surveys or the one that the German auto club does for decent comparisons across a large number of makes.

Someone could come on here and be telling the truth when they say that their grandmother smoked 40 cigs per day all her life and lived to be 103 years of age. It happens very occasionally, but you have to think of all those that died very early due to the ciggies.

All the bad reports and all the good reports about cars in this thread may well be true and accurate. But, you need to establish what the norm is for XYZ type of car, i.e what is happening in the majority of cases(95%) ?

Also, at times you have to be specific (in my example, about the type of engine that is fitted), not just the make of car. Take this example-very many taxi drivers will swear by the reliability of the Toyota Avensis with the D4D engine in it. But, if you do some research on the Avensis with a VVTi engine fitted you will discover a vastly different opinion.

But I've driven two Fords to over 300k miles without problems...

Anecdotes are interesting but not really a basis for evidence. You want something like the JD power surveys or the one that the German auto club does for decent comparisons across a large number of makes.

I did notice he said 'Brand new' Fords, I remember my cousin getting the new shape Fiesta when that was new and she had a few problems, and I recently bought a 2011 Mondeo and did some research before buying it. I read a lot of comments saying there was software issues with that shape Mondeo, but only when they were new, it seems to be a recurring theme for Fords after I looked up online.

I've always, when buying a car, tried to get a later model or a facelift version from that particular model, regardless of whether or not they should - teething problems occur in almost all brand new models.

In response to OP - a friend of mine some years ago had a Yaris with over 120k on the clock and it felt very tight and decent. They seem to be strong cars.

I had a 2004 Yaris 1 litre from the ' blue' range bought from new and loved it. Sold it last year as we were moving abroad but would have kept it otherwise. It'd done 180k miles and in the 10years apart from annual service replaced the exhaust and radiator!

I did notice he said 'Brand new' Fords, I remember my cousin getting the new shape Fiesta when that was new and she had a few problems, and I recently bought a 2011 Mondeo and did some research before buying it. I read a lot of comments saying there was software issues with that shape Mondeo, but only when they were new, it seems to be a recurring theme for Fords after I looked up online.

I've always, when buying a car, tried to get a later model or a facelift version from that particular model, regardless of whether or not they should - teething problems occur in almost all brand new models.

In response to OP - a friend of mine some years ago had a Yaris with over 120k on the clock and it felt very tight and decent. They seem to be strong cars.

In the past 14 years I've had 3 brand new fords..all run to around 130-140k miles each.. no problem with any of them apart from the odd bulb.. they were all regularly serviced..

I have a 2000 Yaris had it the full 15 yrs ,apserloutly love if ! I have taken care of it having it serviced by Toyota for the first 12 years and now a local mechanic . I may have just been lucky but apart from reasonable wear repairs nothing major .