Car Insurance not valid

What's an 'invalid' address? It's not like the car must be insured at an address you live at (although it would be unusual not to be the case).

Yes it is. Your postcode has a lot to do with the premium you pay due to local car crime statistics. This is why some people insure their car at a different address (parents or siblings) to pay a lower premium. They have no intention of parking the vehicle at the address used and this is why insurers are quick to remove your insurance if they find out. Its fraud in essence.

Yes it is. Your postcode has a lot to do with the premium you pay due to local car crime statistics. This is why some people insure their car at a different address (parents or siblings) to pay a lower premium. They have no intention of parking the vehicle at the address used and this is why insurers are quick to remove your insurance if they find out. Its fraud in essence.

When you have two addresses though, I'm guessing that you can choose which address to insure the car at.

It sounds like the OP simply put his postcode and house number and then pressed ok without checking what address that returned. Potentially easy to do, but hopefully an error they won't repeat. I don't know what the law is on this, but all coppers have discretion so it does sound like you happened to deal with an 'unfriendly' one.

If you insurer is saying you were insured then you should pursue this as it's not on for your to lose your car when the police appear to have acted incorrectly. However, to correct some previous posters, a PC does NOT have to have grounds to stop a car. This rule only applies to stop and search on foot. However, they cannot search your car without grounds or a warrant or question the occupants of the car on where they are going, what are they doing etc. They can stop ANY car and ask to see your paperwork, which if you do not have then you are committing a crime. However, as most people do not carry their insurance certificate in their car and it's all electronic these days anyway, it would be v rare for a copper to demand to see these things unless something was looking strange on the computer. If you had insurance against the CAR then it would not have set off alarms in the police car so you appear to have just been v unlucky for the stop.

It sounds like the OP simply put his postcode and house number and then pressed ok without checking what address that returned.

Yes, that s what I have done....Please don't write stupid comments about lower insurance as my insurance is low enough on my address...And I dont need to commit any fraud because of lower insurance...Lets see what will happen next :/

I'd think that the car must be insured at the address at which you keep it. Which is not necessarily where you live.

I'd think that the car must be insured at the address at which you keep it. Which is not necessarily where you live.

You will be asked that question when you apply for the insurance.

Where is the car kept over night and where is it in the day.

You usually have a few options, such as on the road, on a drive way, in a private garage etc and for in the day in secure car park etc.

The point I was making is, the address where you keep the car (99% of the time is the same as your home address) overnight effects your insurance premium dramatically. This is why some people lie. I'm not saying the OP is lying, but I note he has not replied to my question :suspect:

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:12 ----------

So how does that work for many students who go home for the weekends?

Having a look around, it seems companies such as Direct Line assume the car is kept at your home address. They don't even ask where its stored. Others still do but will assume its stored at your home address and not another.

Except it's not. My policy has three cars on it which I own and drive. One of them is registered and lives in the south of France... my daily driver at my home address and the third is in Scotland... Fronting is only an offence when you give a different address to where the car will be kept and used. Having a RK at a totally different address is not a problem as long as the insurers don't think it's being used and garaged there.