Scariest film you've ever seen.

grinder

Some classics have already been mentioned on here....

I loved the 1950s film Night of the Demon with Dana Andrews, based on the MR James story Casting the Runes.

Also worth looking out for is Lake Mungo - an untypical horror film, with no blood or guts, but it will stay with you as you think about it.

When La Cabina was shown on BBC2 back in the early 1980s it terrified me, though I doubt it would have the same effect now.

Threads too is brilliant & disturbing.

'Dead of Night', that was good . The ventriloquist story is the one most remembered but do you remember the story of the guy in hospital and the hearse. 'Room for one inside sir'. I've never forgot that one.

Some great ones mentioned on here, and some great stories!

I remember around 1981, seeing a film called The Beyond (Italian horror film), getting home and walking in, just as a power cut plunged the whole street in darkness!

Also, while it was a TV film, the original late 80's channel 4 film, "The Woman in Black", was great, much better than the Daniel Radcliffe remake. The scene with the little tin soldier in his hand......

'Dead of Night', that was good . The ventriloquist story is the one most remembered but do you remember the story of the guy in hospital and the hearse. 'Room for one inside sir'. I've never forgot that one.

I actually own all those old movies, now, with a 55 inch TV.

I can turn down the lights, and imagine I'm in the Heeley Green with my Grandma, or the Carleton with my cousin, without having that long cold and sometimes rainy walk home.

I don't remember the hearse, but there was a Deja Vu story that never ended, and Basil Radford walking off into the sea at the end.

Somebody mentioned The Beast with Five Fingers, but that is now just a laugh.

But, The Maze, and the ventriloquist are still terrifying!

I am a horror film fan but watched Salems lot when i was still quite young and it scared me and my sister to death. It was the bit where the child vampire is floating outside his friends bedroom scratching at the window asking to be let in.

I was just about to write pretty much the same post! I'd have been about 8 when this was on, it scared the living daylights out of me and my brother. I'm not even sure if I could watch it now!