Scariest film you've ever seen.

grinder

Was Oliver Reed in the Devils? If it is the same film I remember keeping my eyes closed.

Yes, he was, the film was a Ken Burns film , a guy notorious for sensationalism. The most notorious scene in this one was the nun masturbating with a crucifix, she was a pretty famous actress, can't come up with a name, might have been one of the Redgrave sisters, not sure though

No, The Devils I am referring to was a much earlier film. It was set in a boys school owned by a woman whose husband aimed to kill her by making her so scared she had a heart attack (she had a weak heart)

Just done some checking. It is available on dvd as Les Diaboliques (1955) and stars Simone Signoret

Edited by Minimo

The films today have far better special effects than the old X films I know but a film I never saw at the time and only heard about as a kid back in the 40s gave me more nightmares than anything I've ever seen since...

Peter Lorre in the Beast with five fingers.

Just thinking about it still gives me the creeps.. :help:

Jaws - when i was eight - yikes! :shocked:

Yes, he was, the film was a Ken Burns film , a guy notorious for sensationalism. The most notorious scene in this one was the nun masturbating with a crucifix, she was a pretty famous actress, can't come up with a name, might have been one of the Redgrave sisters, not sure though

Yes I think it was Vanessa Redgrave. I remember going to see it with my boyfriend. I really could not watch certain parts of the film. I also think

Oliver Reed was tortured near the end of the film.

It really was a scary film.

I was just about to write pretty much the same post! I'd have been about 8 when this was on, it scared the living daylights out of me and my brother. I'm not even sure if I could watch it now!

I did watch it again recently. A Lot of it wasn't scary now as its very dated but iwas still uncomfortable watching that particular scene.

Ken Russell I think you mean pal

Snowtown, or the Snowtown Murders (2011). An Australian movie about a real-life serial killer.

Disturbing, scary to the core and simply stunning. I am not normally into horrors/gore movies, but because this is a real story AND because of some incredible acting and directing this Australian movie is one of my favourites of all time. I do provide the following warning though: I had to watch it in 2 goes over 2 nights. The first night I was physically sick and unable to carry on watching.

Snowtown, or the Snowtown Murders (2011). An Australian movie about a real-life serial killer.

Disturbing, scary to the core and simply stunning. I am not normally into horrors/gore movies, but because this is a real story AND because of some incredible acting and directing this Australian movie is one of my favourites of all time. I do provide the following warning though: I had to watch it in 2 goes over 2 nights. The first night I was physically sick and unable to carry on watching.

Good grief Tim, sounds awful.

By the way mate, in case you have not seen it, and it has been mentioned on here, go on youtube, when you have a minute, and watch the full film called "Dead of Night", a black and white British film from 1945, great film, especially the story of the ventriloquist.

Also, I think you can find it on youtube, the original Channel 4 TV film from 1989, The Woman in Black. Not gory, but just a good ghost story.

Invasion of the body snatchers?

Not exactly a movie but I was terrified by the original Day of the Triffids, saw it when I was about seven really freaked me out as our garden had 3 huge greenhouses and large flowers everywhere!

That the one..:thumbsup:

John Wyndham wrote "Day of the Triffids" terrific book but a poor film ..

He also wrote "The Midwich Cuckoos*, the film version was called "Village of the damned" ..

Edited by grinder