Do Sheffielders see them selves as part of Yorkshire

Perhaps a bigger question is, do Yorkshire folk in general see Sheffield as part of the county?

Of course, from a geographical perspective, the answer is yes. But this whole concept of "South Yorkshire" never existed in the past when the county was split into "riddings" (thirds). There was North, West and East riddings, with the major cities being Middlesboro and York, in the North, Leeds and Bradford, in the West, and Hull in the East. Sheffield was considered more of a market town back in those days and fitted rather uncomfortably into the West ridding.

I have heard many comments from folk in other parts of the county that Sheffield is barely in Yorkshire, because it's too far south. Which may be a bit of a ludicrous thing to say or think, but that kind of thinking isn't uncommon outside of Sheffield.

So, it's a case of, "we like to think we are an important part of them, but most of them don't feel we are" perhaps?

Perhaps a bigger question is, do Yorkshire folk in general see Sheffield as part of the county?

Of course, from a geographical perspective, the answer is yes. But this whole concept of "South Yorkshire" never existed in the past when the county was split into "riddings" (thirds). There was North, West and East riddings, with the major cities being Middlesboro and York, in the North, Leeds and Bradford, in the West, and Hull in the East. Sheffield was considered more of a market town back in those days and fitted rather uncomfortably into the West ridding.

I have heard many comments from folk in other parts of the county that Sheffield is barely in Yorkshire, because it's too far south. Which may be a bit of a ludicrous thing to say or think, but that kind of thinking isn't uncommon outside of Sheffield.

So, it's a case of, "we like to think we are an important part of them, but most of them don't feel we are" perhaps?

Well if that is true it simply goes to show how thick some folk from other parts of the country are.

Sheffield is the largest city in Yorkshire by population.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFkQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.citypopulation.de%2FUK-England.html&ei=dJ1dVcSIMKW27gbL24OQDw&usg=AFQjCNEaxKpafEmAoXFMxa_Qb8rptshmvA&bvm=bv.93756505,d.ZGU

Scroll down to the section headed Major Cities.

Barely in Yorkshire? That would be in Yorkshire then? A little bit like being barely pregnant!

Market Town! Leeds was a market town we produced the finest steel and cutlery in the world!

Sheffield is also a frontier town, like Dodge and Tucson Arizona, holding back the hordes of the uncivilised from such weird places as the sheep amorous hills of Derbyshire.

And now and then we pinch a bit more of their land whilst they're distracted chasing wooly backs. :)

How do you think Yorkshire became the biggest county in England?

It didn't happen by any action of those dilatory chuffs in the middle of the county did it?

Its interesting how other people view this.

I was at a gig in that stupid village of London a few years ago, met a few geordie lads.

They asked where I was from, I said sheffield - They immediately start chanting Yorkshire. Was a lovely moment!

I was born In Sheffield, raised in Derbyshire and moved back here about 8 years ago. I always tell people I'm from sheffield because I'm truly proud to be. Although old friends pull me up and say i'm from Derbyshire - which is right? :huh:

Good point. I know people from West and North Yorkshire and they see Sheffield as something as an interloper which is too far south to be in Yorkshire.

And when I speak to others they think of Sheffield as being in the Midlands, somewhere near Derby and Nottingham.

When someone asks where I'm from (as they often do when I live in a "foreign" land with a strong Yorkshire accent), if I say Yorkshire they say "whereabouts". I answer Sheffield and they say "where in Yorkshire is that?" or "I didn't know Sheffield was in Yorkshire".

Deak - your opinion means nothing, go away and stop running to teacher.

Some interesting views/perspectives posted.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:39 ----------

I never say Yorkshire.

Good points made from Derby & mj. As far as cites go, Sheffield is the largest but has fallen behind Leeds in many ways.

Many do view Sheffield as being in the Midlans.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:40 ----------

*Midlands I should say.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:41 ----------

It`s all about identity and media bias/hype. These are 2 areas we fall behind in.

Deak - your opinion means nothing, go away and stop running to teacher.

Some interesting views/perspectives posted.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:39 ----------

I never say Yorkshire.

Good points made from Derby & mj. As far as cites go, Sheffield is the largest but has fallen behind Leeds in many ways.

Many do view Sheffield as being in the Midlans.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:40 ----------

*Midlands I should say.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 16:41 ----------

It`s all about identity and media bias/hype. These are 2 areas we fall behind in.

I've had the argument about Sheffield being in the Midlands on a few occasions.

Coming north the first northern cities that you encounter are Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield and Hull.

Stoke, Derby and Nottingham are the most northerly of the Midland cities.

Take a look at this map.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapsofworld.com%2Funited-kingdom%2Fcities-map.html&ei=LABeVdCzEcLP7Qah_oGgBg&usg=AFQjCNFskXFPyn7nB-pj5LibTqu7_mL-mg&bvm=bv.93756505,d.ZGU

And then look at the first question on this BBC geographic quiz on Britain.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fmagazine-28686546&ei=jgBeVYGoLcPD7gaJoYPIBA&usg=AFQjCNFeFmdKAvZYCrwSWF3Pgj5kO-LTlA&bvm=bv.93756505,d.ZGU

You have to take into consideration that on most maps Britain is shown vertically whilst in fact it is leaning to the West in reality.

That moves Sheffield's position up north, I have always argued that we are in fact the first northern city in the country.

Another claim to fame! :)