Another greedy banker on the gravy train.

The BBC have quoted different figures: A profit of £124m in 2014, a loss of £255m in 2013.

Perhaps you should look at the difference between Cooperative Group and Cooperative Bank which is owned by the Cooperative group.

---------- Post added 21-05-2015 at 14:19 ----------

So was I (if you clicked my linky ;)).

Be all that as it may, and with reference to the OP. Blears is not a 'banker' (anymore than e.g. Co-op Bank's head of legal, head of HR, etc.) and her appointment is not 'a gravy train'. It's work to be done by a company director, with a value decided for and paid by that company, her employer.

Alternatively, I suggest we contrast that appointment with e.g. how much 'work' pro footballers, pro golfers and whatnot are doing and what 'responsibilities' they carry, when they are paid (and some turning down) £100k a week. Why aren't their gigs ever called 'gravy trains' as well, then?

Next stormy teacup.

Perhaps it is something to do with the taxpayer standing as guarantor to bank accounts held at the Cooperative Bank where they don't have to at Nottigham Forest.

Edited by Bigthumb

Perhaps you should look at the difference between Cooperative Group and Cooperative Bank which is owned by the Cooperative group.

According to the BBC link Hazel Blears has been appointed as a director of the Cooperative group, not the Cooperative Bank.

Former Salford and Eccles MP Hazel Blears has a new job as a £60,000 a year director of the Co-operative Group.

So what's your point again? :huh:

Perhaps it is something to do with the taxpayer standing as guarantor to bank accounts held at the Cooperative Bank where they don't have to at Nottigham Forest.
And that goes to the point I made about work/responsibilities and pay level how, exactly? :huh:

Last I checked, the Co-op Group including its bank was no more nationalised than Nottingham Forest FC is.

Oh yeah: she's still not a 'banker', and it's still not a 'gravy train' btw ;)

I've just read that Hazel Blears, who stood down as an MP a few days ago is to become a director of the Co-op Bank.

Her salary is said to be £60,000 for which "Ms Blears will be expected to work a minimum of one to two days a month".

Incidentally Boris Johnson now has a £67,000 cabinet post in government, on top of his mayoral earnings £143,911, and his pay for the weekly column he writes for the Daily Telegraph is £250,000-a-year (which he described as mere 'chicken feed') http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8148899.stm

Good old Boris :rolleyes:

Oddly they quoted totally different numbers last month, saying

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32229825

From your link:

The Co-operative Group has revealed it made a profit of £124m in 2014 compared with a loss of £255m the previous year.

I think the figure of £216m came what it received in profit from selling its pharmacy chain and farms, which help it make the £124m profit.

And that goes to the point I made about work/responsibilities and pay level how, exactly? :huh:

Last I checked, the Co-op Group including its bank was no more nationalised than Nottingham Forest FC is.

Oh yeah: she's still not a 'banker', and it's still not a 'gravy train' btw ;)

Of course it isn't nationalised. It is a mutual. That doesn't stop the FSA underwritting the bank balances of all the account holders in the Coop Bank as they do with every other UK bank.

Neither does it stop the chief executive paying himself £5 million or putting forward a list of 3 names for the members to elect as the 3 new board members.

Of course it isn't nationalised. It is a mutual. That doesn't stop the FSA underwritting the bank balances of all the account holders in the Coop Bank as they do with every other UK bank.

Neither does it stop the chief executive paying himself £5 million or putting forward a list of 3 names for the members to elect as the 3 new board members.

Doesn't the FSA underwrite the balances of all UK based banks up to a certain level?

still not addressing the point at all, I'm afraid.