Nesting birds in roof space

There is a blue tits nest in a house roof near me, it's just behind the gutter under the slates. the roof is soon going to be stripped and replaced .the birds are very active feeding a brood and may not get away in time. any advice please.

Id get on with the work. Obviously id take a little extra care but no way would i put off a new roof for the sake of a few birds. If you bought the house and the birds pay you no rent then they are squatters anyway.

Who would know. Only the OP as the police and or RSPCA/RSPB would not discuss ongoing investigations and or actions taken unless they go to court. Which could take years.

Sure. I'll not do it then. Let him kill his baby birds. They'll die instantly hopefully, rather than starve to death as the mother is frightened to come back.

Sure. I'll not do it then. Let him kill his baby birds. They'll die instantly hopefully, rather than starve to death as the mother is frightened to come back.

We best get over there quick with a couple of hammers so we are sure they do not suffer too much.

I'd be more concerned about the rest of the standards and quality of the roofer if he has no morals in disturbing or killing birds.

Just because the builder sees nothing wrong with removing a birds nest that dosent go to say the quality of his work will be in any way worse than someone who would happily down tools until the birds have flown the nest thus racking up massive extra costs which are then passed on the the home owner.

If anything the morals of the builder wanting to remove the nest are spot on.

There is a blue tits nest in a house roof near me, it's just behind the gutter under the slates. the roof is soon going to be stripped and replaced .the birds are very active feeding a brood and may not get away in time. any advice please.

This is a big problem with birds at this time of year ... one that I've encountered many times.

The thing is, as soon as the weather starts picking up, people (quite naturally) want to do work to the outside of their houses ... be it painting the gutters, to a re-roof.

Of course, work like this entails leaning ladders up against the house ...

Birds, being the vindictive sociopathic creatures as they are, see this as an ideal opportunity to cause havoc, fully aware their insurance/legal protection taken out with the RSPB grants them diplomatic immunity, allowing them to get up to any kind of shenanigans that takes their fancy with no fear of prosecution.

Up the ladders they climb sniggering, as soon as the poor homeowner's back's turned, laden with third rate building materials ... twigs, dead leaves bits of hair etc, and construct 'houses' exactly where they know house-proud homeowner plans to work. He doesn't stand a chance! The police would just laugh if you reported it ... they just don't have the powers anymore.

It's a long time since 'doing bird' was a phrase used in it's correct meaning ... same reason you don't see birds feet patterns on prison uniforms anymore.

Same with hedges too ... as soon as they need cutting after lying dormant over the winter the birds are straight in! Hedge grows all over the place, whilst the birds sit inside the twigs laughing their little beaks off!

So this is why birds always nest at this time of year ... purely to annoy people. :mad:

This is a big problem with birds at this time of year ... one that I've encountered many times.

The thing is, as soon as the weather starts picking up, people (quite naturally) want to do work to the outside of their houses ... be it painting the gutters, to a re-roof.

Of course, work like this entails leaning ladders up against the house ...

Birds, being the vindictive sociopathic creatures as they are, see this as an ideal opportunity to cause havoc, fully aware their insurance/legal protection taken out with the RSPB grants them diplomatic immunity, allowing them to get up to any kind of shenanigans that takes their fancy with no fear of prosecution.

Up the ladders they climb sniggering, as soon as the poor homeowner's back's turned, laden with third rate building materials ... twigs, dead leaves bits of hair etc, and construct 'houses' exactly where they know house-proud homeowner plans to work. He doesn't stand a chance! The police would just laugh if you reported it ... they just don't have the powers anymore.

It's a long time since 'doing bird' was a phrase used in it's correct meaning ... same reason you don't see birds feet patterns on prison uniforms anymore.

Same with hedges too ... as soon as they need cutting after lying dormant over the winter the birds are straight in! Hedge grows all over the place, whilst the birds sit inside the twigs laughing their little beaks off!

So this is why birds always nest at this time of year ... purely to annoy people. :mad:

:hihi:

Well, as the OP is in S6 it could have been much worse...

... it could have been a family of tree penguins! ;)

:hihi:

Well, as the OP is in S6 it could have been much worse...

... it could have been a family of tree penguins! ;)

Tree penguins, as the name would suggest, eschew gutters and hedges in favour of trees (in Hillsborough) :P

Just because the builder sees nothing wrong with removing a birds nest that dosent go to say the quality of his work will be in any way worse than someone who would happily down tools until the birds have flown the nest thus racking up massive extra costs which are then passed on the the home owner.

If anything the morals of the builder wanting to remove the nest are spot on.

But that's just your opinion. I say that if he doesn't know or care about the birds and the law I question the rest of his morals and standards. Two people have posted a link which shows he's breaking the law. And the law is enforced:

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Housing-developer-axes-hundreds-trees-bird/story-26385205-detail/story.html

And why will there be "massive extra costs"? The work will just start later that's all. He can get on with other jobs where there are no obstructions.

Edited by alchresearch