Looking for information about Woodseats past?

from RubyDazzler:

We were never afraid to go anywhere or do anything and even stranger adults always looked out for you, the sun always shone too ... why isn't life like that anymore? :confused: is it cos I is old :)

Well, there was once when three or four of us (age about 12) were out in the street one night, and an "old man" came up and asked if any of us would like to go into his house to play games; we thanked him and went elsewhere. Was he a paedophile out hunting? We'll never know. That would have been about 1948.

Well, there was once when three or four of us (age about 12) were out in the street one night, and an "old man" came up and asked if any of us would like to go into his house to play games; we thanked him and went elsewhere. Was he a paedophile out hunting? We'll never know. That would have been about 1948.

I was only recounting my experience of my life. Adults always seemed to treat all kids as if they were their own. You'd get told off by strangers in the street not just neighbours and family. Equally, it seems to me looking back, that adults also would take care of you if you were lost or hurt. Now, apparently, people are too afraid to approach a child in distress. Although the reactions of some parents if you try to assist them can be very hostile, of course.

Back on topic, I recently saw a photo of Woodseats shopping centre taken many years ago, it's hardly altered since then ... only the shop names have changed. Although the little indoor arcade has vanished. Does anyone else remember that, it was there in 1987 when we first went to live up there? I think it was where bargain booze is now?

the arcade was a little further up where St Lukes shop is i used to run through there with my tap shoes on when i was late for Ann wards dancing school on the dale!! i remember an old sweet shop up from netto where the done bookmakers & hairdressers is. we used to buy chocolate cigarette's and think we where cool puffing on them walking back up chantry rd on the way to cherry bank.

Thanks for that, I only vaguely remembered it, it was like a little arcade with various shops inside, or were they just booths? A great place to go to get out of the rain. Think Dale Carpets was either in there or just behind it on the Dale before they moved round onto the main road.

CaptainS,

that is just a small part of the story, the border moved many times and the meers brook border was for only a certain time.

Don't tell it isn't the county borders any more !

hmmm, Nether Hallam was in Yorkshire, Norton in Derbyshire, with the toll barr on Meers Brook. Meers meaning 'boundary' and brook a stream.

Heeley was formed of 3 hamlets, whilst Norton was formed of Norton Lees, Norton Woodseats, Fourlane End, Bolehill, Little Norton...

Now what's that brook bordering Sheffield and Dronfield south of Batemoor/Lowedges called ?

• 6 months later...
In 1946, I used to walk home from Woodseats School to Perigree Road through Barber's Fields, where cows grazes. In summer we played games there: cowboys and indians, British vs Germans, etc (helped by ex Army rifle stocks, distributed as firewood, but picked over by the boys as "real guns").

In the winter, we could sledge there; Scott of the Antarctic got re-enacted, with some poor souls chosen as sled dogs.

A bridge was built over the stream at the bottom of the fields, and a daring exploit was to toboggan down to the frozen stream, turn on the ice, and shoot through the culvert (maybe 4 foot diameter, but it's long ago!). Alas, somebody missed his turn and hit the concrete with his head.

I went back years later -- all built over! Where do the kids today have to adventure?

Hi,

I attended Woodseats CofE County School from 1942 untill 1947, My first infant school teacher was Miss Edwards, in the juniors we were with Miss Cowlinshaw (Collinshaw) for at least two years. I can recall the tallest guy in the class was Harry Andrews, his friend was the smallest Jimmy Greaves, the only other name I can recall was "Chang" Murray, I think his first name was Keith. Mr Morton was the headmaster in the juniors.

I used to play in Barbers fields at lunch break, I think it was in '46 we set the fields afire. I got many a clip on the tab for getting my shoes wet in the brook, sitting with wet feet all afternoon and trying to hide them when I got home.

Do you remember the butchers backing into the corner of the playground?

He used to bake his meat pies during the morning playtime, I have still never tasted pies like those.

My dad was the super at Millhouses pool, I used to go to work with him in the mornings during the summer and walk to school after my training, then walk back in the evening and play around in the pool till closing time, happy days.

Archived